• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

240 build

chris_todd

Members
Oh, forgot Greg's safety tip of the day......Wait until you are done playing with the sharp knives before consuming vodka. :cool:

Oh, that totally should have been a Haiku of Regret... Or did I already do that one, I can't remember, I've had too much beer... ;)

Travis

Members
I have always been a big fan of these backgrounds. However, I could never justify spending more on a background than the cost of the tank. One day, one day.

Congrats though, it looks great!

gliebig

Members
I want to paint the edge of the foam where I had to cut it. What is a good fish safe/non-toxic paint I could use?

I want to paint the edge of the foam where I had to cut it. What is a good fish safe/non-toxic paint I could use?
I happen to make my own backgrounds from scratch and i use the latex version of drylock paint and use liquid cement coloring
Picture094.jpg

and the coloring pigments
Picture093.jpg

Hope this helps

gliebig

Members
Thanks. I only need to touch up a few places. Do you think I could just go with the quickrete coloring directly to the foam?

gliebig

Members
Where can I buy the liquid cement coloring? I tried HD and Lowes, but no luck.
Nevermind, just tracked down a bottle at the local hardware store. Picked up several bags of PFS today. Hopefully get a lot done in the next few days.

Last edited:

gliebig

Members
Santa just showed up in her brown UPS outfit today. How sneaky. :D

Just got in:
(2) 250wt dimmable lumatek mh ballasts. And they are a sweet Ravens purple color.
(2) 300watt via aqua titanium heaters
(2) 250wt 14k hamilton halides
(1) 25ft python
(1) AM pinpoint ph monitor.

Getting there.............................slowly. :p

YSS

Members
Intersting alternative to keeping fish in the tank. :) Nice set up. What are the dimensions?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Santa just showed up in her brown UPS outfit today. How sneaky. :D

Just got in:
(2) 250wt dimmable lumatek mh ballasts. And they are a sweet Ravens purple color.
(2) 300watt via aqua titanium heaters
(2) 250wt 14k hamilton halides
(1) 25ft python
(1) AM pinpoint ph monitor.

Getting there.............................slowly. :p

Glad you decided to go with the halides. They really do make a tank look awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Have you decided which fish you're looking to stock yet?

gliebig

Members
Glad you decided to go with the halides. They really do make a tank look awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Have you decided which fish you're looking to stock yet?

I did. I'm going with peacocks, no mbuna, no......haha. I go back and forth all the time. :wacko:

edit: I'm not too sure yet about the 14k bulbs. I pugged one in yesterday and it may be a hair too blue. It would be perfect for a reef tank. I'll have to see how it looks when I get some agua and fish in there.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
14K was my favorite color MH bulb when I used to have my reef setup. Not sure how it would look over fish, but probably pretty nice.

Sort of like being bright without looking like a spotlight over the tank. It should bring out the blues (really heavy in Malawi fish) really nicely.

gliebig

Members
I put some rocks and sand in this weekend. Not enough rocks, so I spent the day rock hunting before the Raven's game yesterday. I hope to have it scaped how I like it this week then add water!
I was playing around with my lighting this weekend and tried one pendant mounted right over the middle of the tank. It may be different when I get water in there, but I think I may be able to get away with using 1 instead of 2 lights! Kinda sucks I just bought 2brand new ballasts, though. haha.