• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Tanks/New Living Room

ezrk

Members
It looks great. Cool background. What are you using for lighting?

We will experiment a bit. We have a Catalina T5 HO on our 75 currently and are going to stick that on one of them to see if we like that.

We are investigating LED options (which look very cool on our 20g) but suspect that will wind up too expensive, I don't think 4x24" Marineland double brights will be enough lighting which would be feasible.

I like the background as it will give them a bit more "texture" than just painting the back black without really being obtrusive. We have a light 3D background on our 75 which just wound up being green as algae grew on it.

ezrk

Members
For those that are curious, the sumps are 30x18x18 (40g or so) glass with three compartments. The wet/dry is made out of storage containers (with a nice set of rails holding them out of the tank) with a bulkhead connection to the wet dry through a sanitary T. The overlow box is has a big Durso drain, this is a pretty common drilled set-up and is one that should be fairly quiet.

There is a ton of room in the sump for anything we want to stick in there...heaters, plants, cherry shrimp, algae scrubber, whatever really.

ezrk

Members
Any thoughts on using shims to level? One tank is slightly out of level (maybe 1/8" to 3/16"), is this worth shimming or not?

mscichlid

Founder
Yes. Being unlevel, a tank will annoy you when filling and could cause other problems later. Use wooden or plastic shims before it's filled. Use a level left to right and front to back.

Hawkman2000

Members
As far as LED lighting goes, I was very impressed with the specs on these ones -

http://www.aquarayusa.com/ - Check out the controlers. Storm mode? So cool.

Unlevel floor, maybe look into mounting threaded legs on the cabinets. That way they would work on any floor type.

verbal

CCA Members
Yes. Being unlevel, a tank will annoy you when filling and could cause other problems later. Use wooden or plastic shims before it's filled. Use a level left to right and front to back.

I agree shims are probably a good idea. I don't know that threaded legs would be a good idea.

JasonC

Members
I don't know that threaded legs would be a good idea.

Would probably be a supremely bad idea. The threads would be taking the load of the tank... threads are very rarely rated to take that type of load.. esp with that much weight on them. I'm sure you could find some rated that high, but I would hate to think of the cost.

ezrk

Members

That is what I have done (not filled yet) but it is a pretty small degree of being unlevel (the other tank is perfect as is). It isn't really enough to notice when filling, but is noticeable on a level (the bubble is "inside the lines" the slightly to one side). I have seen conflicting views on the interwebz as to when "not level" is an issue.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I wouldn't worry about it...

Matt

That is what I have done (not filled yet) but it is a pretty small degree of being unlevel (the other tank is perfect as is). It isn't really enough to notice when filling, but is noticeable on a level (the bubble is "inside the lines" the slightly to one side). I have seen conflicting views on the interwebz as to when "not level" is an issue.

Hawkman2000

Members
Pricey is right. I was looking at the specs and sizes to see if they would work on any of my tanks or planned future builds, then I saw the prices, OUCH. LEDs made for planted tanks is pretty cool though.

verbal

CCA Members

That minor an issue would only be aesthetic. However I think you may not even see the water surface with the canopy on the tank.

WendyFish

Members
Updates on sump and lighting (and fish)!

We plumbed in the durso that they had in the setup, with the pump for the setup, and found both a bit on the noisy side. Not outlandishly so, but a little more than we wanted for the living room.

We replaced the pump with the Eheim version, which is somewhat quieter, but still wants some coddling in terms of what it sits on, next to, which way the wind blows, etc. It can be amazingly quiet, but nudge it and it goes back to humming, though really only slightly. Hopefully we will work that out. It's (much) quieter than the power head, so that will be a next question.

We changed out the durso and did a herbie, and I have to say it is downright amazing. If you stick your head a foot over the top of the tank, you can hear water... if you stick your head a foot under the stand, you can hear water. Otherwise you don't hear water. I'm very impressed. Some pics of the plumbing are below.

For lighting we ended up getting another Catalina t5 HO, with 2 10ks and a 6500. I like what the actinic coloring adds to all of our other tanks, but for this one I do not care for it, so we changed that out.

Here is a pic of what we have as the current aquascape. It's still a little cloudy as the sand settles.

The tropheus are arriving on Friday, and dwarf petricola on Saturday. So we have a fun weekend ahead. Not to mention, the piping for the second herbie arrives on Thursday, so we can do the second tank too (just tried it for one of the two tanks initially).

The rest of the living room redo is ongoing -- the couch is here, the art/framing is done but not hung, the room lighting is still being figured out, then we have a bit more to paint to drain the 75gall and move the bar to where it belongs. Then clean the fish and construction stuff out of the way to finish up.

Getting there!

TrophTank.jpg

TrophSump1.jpg

TrophSump2.jpg

ezrk

Members
The 3/4" siphon drain line can basically more than handle all the output from the Eheim 1262 (with about 4.5 feet of head, probably 650-700g/h). It is tuned so that there is a tiny trickly going through the durso/emegency overflow. We couldn't quite get it all in the siphon as that tends to lower the water level in the weir too much or causes a vortex in the weir that sucks air down.

The 3/4" drain was plumbed with two things in mind. First, I wanted the parts to be removable so I could clean/clear obstructions. Second, I wanted as much "flex" in the system as possible to reduce stress on the glass from any oopses.

So the bulkhead had a hose barb glued into into it which has a small section of 1" ID vinyl tubing to another hose barb elbow. The elbow goes into 3/4" flex PVC to a union with flex pvc. The PVC gate valve is next with a piece of solid PVC to an elbow to another bulkhead in the media box. That piece of PVC into the box is not glued just jammed in.

The emergency overflows is plumbed with 1 or 1.25" spa/ribbed/flex tubing held onto PVC at each end with hose clamps.

The big gray boxes are full of a combination of bio-balls and Poret foam. The layer of foam on top of the bio balls, i.e. the top layer in the bottom box, did a lot to quiet the water trickle going through the wet dry.

I added a second foam wall seperating the pump from the wet/dry section which is added biological capacity and should keep any remaining gunk from getting to the filter.

The Eheim hobby pump is pretty solid, this is our third one. They really, really need to be on something that absorb vibration but if you do that they are really quiet. We have two small ones in our 20s running Poret foam mattenfilters and the big boy in our sump. All of them are sitting on 2" thick Poret foam sections. There is probably nothing magical about the Poret foam, but we have scraps around from various projects and it works well.

The disadvantage is that it causes the Eheim to sit pretty high in the sump which is a problem from an evaporation/vortex PoV potentially. I am going to try putting it on a bag of sand, which several people on reefcentral recommend, and may try getting some neoprene to make a thick pad with.

WendyFish

Members
Looks great. When is the party? :)
We plan to invite the club for happy hour once we have the second tank set up and -- naturally -- once we have the bar ready for such an affair. Probably need a couple more weekends of work. :happy0180:

Being that you live at a stone's throw, you should just let us know when you want to have a beer and come see it! :)

ezrk

Members
That minor an issue would only be aesthetic. However I think you may not even see the water surface with the canopy on the tank.

Oh yeah. We ultimately decided to get a carpet to put underneath and they seem to have settled on that to be completely level.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Great job guys. Can't wait to see it in person.

You may have said it somewhere else, but where are these 20s you mention? Also, how big are the sumps?