• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Yellow Lab spits out eggs

bschuhart

Members
I caught a Yellow Lab female that was carrying to put in an isolation tank and she spit out 2 eggs. is this normal?

2 weeks ago I did the same thing with a different female and she released 9 fry tonight.

YellowLabspitseggs.jpg

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have had females spit out eggs because they are scared. Also because they did not have enough room.
Sometimes they will just let them go while other times I have had them pick them up again later.

My AER's will spit as soon as they come out of the water in the net. Almost every time. I got to the point where I had to transfer them into a cup before taking them out of the tank to help with this.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
My AER's will spit as soon as they come out of the water in the net. Almost every time. I got to the point where I had to transfer them into a cup before taking them out of the tank to help with this.

I do this too, Pat. I use one of those rectangular specimen cups that they have at fish stores and transfer the fish from net to cup under water. It seriously cuts down on the freak-out factor for holding mothers.

davidhusker

Members
I usually just hold off until 14 days or so that way when something does happen, theres a better chance i can keep the eggs/wigglers going. Also from my experiences, the more and more a female breeds/spawns the better she gets at keeping hold of the eggs.

But then again, there are those stubborn fish that spit as soon as they get a little stressed out. I hate it when I am trying to net the female, it stresses me out chasing her around with the net.