• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

yellow lab hybrids

fweed

Members
Has anyone ever seen a yellow lab hybrid before if so maybe you can help me get a photo of one. I would take a photo but my camera is srewed up at the moment. Thanks

Sure hope these type of hybrids don't trickle down to this area. Looking at those hybrid pics makes my heart faint knowing that the species have been compromised. Although some people say that they don't sell them off, I have to believe that whoever they give them away to may decide to sell to someone that may not know any better and this fish bloodline will be in the hobby. I'm glad we have club that takes seriously the importance of educating and disseminating the proper care of cichlids and related information concerning this hobby we enjoy.

Gerard

Whoever decides to cross breed a species should be willing to keep the fish in their tank and not give away or try to sell the offspring, no matter how colorful. Only exception should be if it's recognized as a legitimate cross such as the albino eureka red peacock, german/ruby red peacock. JMO

Gerard

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
But what happens when they arent? $$$

the problem is this even w/ proper labeling they can be sold and then resold to someone else who hasnt a clue thus polluting the blood lines and hurting the hobby. dont get me wrong i have a few hybrids but i wont sell them they are for my personal enjoyment.any offspring will become feeders.;)

fweed

Members
I got this yellow from a lfs here in frederick that why I am not sure if it was a hybrid or not. I hope they would not do that at a lfs. Soon as I can get a pic up I will post it. Thanks for the input.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I got this yellow from a lfs here in frederick that why I am not sure if it was a hybrid or not. I hope they would not do that at a lfs. Soon as I can get a pic up I will post it. Thanks for the input.
Some LFS do sell hybrids, others won't. I won't mention any specific stores to keep the forum positive. Surprisingly, you're more likely to get a pure strain at petco or petsmart because they won't buy from local breeders, only farms and hatcheries.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I had some that I got at an auction that I was wondering about. Just seemed a little different. When Ad stayed with me he said they looked just like the ones in the lake so I guess it was my imagination.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I had some that I got at an auction that I was wondering about. Just seemed a little different. When Ad stayed with me he said they looked just like the ones in the lake so I guess it was my imagination.
Some show vertical stripes, some don't. Some have distinct black markings in the fins, others don't. Inbreeding can wash out desirable traits or pronounce undesirable ones. All the yellow labs should have a solid yellow face though, any other coloration suggests possible hybridization.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yeah, course inbreeding is a definate possiblity when you realize there are more yellow labs in the US than in the Lake.

fweed

Members
Mine look very good until they start to eat or when they are startled a bit then the gill area get blueish kinda weird. The lfs I got him at usally has a good selection of fish. Thats why it surprises me that it could be a hybrid