• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Xtreme VS New Life

Malawimania

Members
Let the debate begin....

I have used New Life in the past, but had been hearing some good things about the Xtreme pellet. I spoke with a Fish Farmer at the ACA and he said it's all they feed their fish in Flordia. I read up a little on the Xtreme food, and sure enough it was made by the Farms in Flordia, not sure if this means I was getting a bias view on the subject or if Xtreme is truly a good food. He also said after mixing New Life and Xtreme for a little while his cichlids were only eating the Xtreme. I like New Life but I guess like everyone else I'm looking for the next best thing. I ordered 10 lbs of Xtreme from Kens yesterday(Big Fella, Peewee Cichlid) and figure i'll give it a shot. Has anyone here had a chance to experience first hand which food is the best? I know both are good but which is the best?

-Steve

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have seen similar threads on other forums result in arguments and am hopeful this one does not end the same way.

That being said, unless you take a scientific approach (well designed investigation), it is all but impossible to prove that one food is better than another when both provide similar ingredients and similar nutrition. Most people when thinking about their fish food, are thinking in terms of size and color. There are many variables other than the food alone that influence these factors.

I like to feed my fish a variety of foods with the prerequisite being that the first ingredients should consist of fish and vegetable and there should be as little filler as possible.

fischfan13

Banned
I agree with Andrew, many of these food debates end up in arguments with no "winner".

My 2 cents...
I like BOTH NLS Veggie Wafers and Xtreme's Cat Scrapers an awful lot, and have not found a better wafer than either.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I WAS HAVING A CONVERSATION ABOUT THIS A FEW MONTHS AGO WITH DANGER CHICKEN. WE BOTH LIKE NLS BUT WE ALSO NOTICED SOME ISSUES WHEN IT CAME TO FILTRATION. WHENEVER WE WENT TO CLEAN OUR FX5'S OR ANY OTHER FILTER YOU HAD A CONCENTRATION OF NLS INSIDE. WHEN TRYING OTHER FOODS WE WANTED ONE TO BE DIGESTED BETTER BY OUR FISH AND ALSO NOT BE AS MESSY FOR OUR WATER QUALITY. WE FOUND XTREME AND ULTRA COLOR (DC HAS BEEN TALKING WITH THE OWNER ON A REGULAR BASIS ABOUT THE NEW IMPROVED SINKING FORMULA)TO DO JUST THAT. IM NOT SAYING NLS ISNT GOOD FOOD IM SAYING THAT WE FOUND A JUST AS GOOD QUALITY FOOD AT A BETTER PRICE AND CLEANER FORMULA. I LIKE XTREME AS DO MY FISH. I CANT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT IT.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I use both regularly. Thought I had an issue with Xtreme a few months back, but turned out to be me overreacting over the fish gorging themselves and acting funny. Haven't had any "problems" since.

To be honest, I don't see much of a difference in my fish now vs. when I was using only NLS.

Malawimania

Members
Awsome respones from everyone! I am looking forward to trying the Xtreme for the first time so I can give my opinion.

-Steve

minifoot77

Members
i use nls thera a and xtreme cichlid pee wee... i usually buy the large containers and alternate between the two

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Spice of life

Entirely possible that many fish these days eat more and better food nutritionally than what they generally get or require in the wild to reproduce. I don't have near the experience with pellets as many here and am still using the truly generous supply of Aqueon pellets that were supplied at ACA, but I imagine that variety is almost as important as any other criteria for food. Do know that I've had Nics, Geos and Krobei spawn with Acqueon pellets as their main dietary staple, but they gets Ken's flakes and blood/blackworms form time to time as well.