• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WOOT! Apistogramma baenschi fry!

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I have free swimming fry :D I thought my female was still too young, she sure proved me wrong! Here are some incredibly crappy pics. I have about 15 fry I think, hard to tell. This is the same pair i posted pics of the other day.

apisto fry! 006.jpg

Jumbie

Members
Thats awesome Rachel!!! Wow, you are an unbelievable good luck streak, you need to play the lottery lol.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I want some when they are ready my male P.Taenaitus doesn't seem to get it. My female throws it at him and he chases her away. I may soon be giving them away.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Good for you Rachel. It is amazing how young some can Apistos breed. Some folks don't realize that Apistos are essentially annuals in the wild and it is breed fast or die.:lol: Funny for us maybe but not for them.

George

Rachel, could you elaborate a little more on this apisto tank, water parameters, etc.? I am really liking these cool little fish and I wanna see if I can a tank in my daughter's room. These fish seem perfect.

Jumbie

Members
Rachel, could you elaborate a little more on this apisto tank, water parameters, etc.? I am really liking these cool little fish and I wanna see if I can a tank in my daughter's room. These fish seem perfect.

Dude I told you Apistos are AWESOME!!!! I was trying to get lord Sarah to venture out from the dark side and come to the "The Twilight Zone" (SA and CA cichlids). LMAO!

msjinkzd

invert junkie
What is working for me is not typical. They typically like softer water. I have a bed of almond leaves in the base of the tank and about 4 pieces of small malaysian driftwood. I am just using fine aquarium gravel. I have alot of plants, mainly mosses and needleleaf java fern and a few anubias petite. The tank is filtered with an AC30 (big foam prefilter)and is just a 10g. The temp is 78. My pH in that tank is around 7.4, gh of 8, kh of 10. I just fed them crushed flake as I wasn't trying to condition them as I thought they were too young (female is only just over an inch and is 5 months old). I have a few small pots in there as well. Other inhabitants are 4 celestial pearl danios and 4 pygmy cories (pygmaeus). I had every intention of upgrading these guys to their own tank (a 20g) when I redo the fishroom but I guess they are happy enough to spawn!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Any spare almond leaves you'd like to sell? I didn't realize these guys liked to lay eggs in leaf litter. I was talking to one of the vendors regarding housing apistos, and he said that a 10g is fine for long-term housing, 15g is plenty. He recommended a fine sand substrate, but I'm sure a fine gravel works as well. Caves, pots, and plants are definitely a plus. He also said they're not as picky about water conditions if they're tank raised. They're definitely fun dwarf cichlids to keep.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I have some almond leaves i can spare, just let me know how many you want. I bought a black trashbag full of them from Li awhile back. Some are broken up, but they work great. I like the almond leaves because they release alot of tannins and help soften minorly (same as driftwood beccause of the tannic acid).

msjinkzd

invert junkie
they erode and degrade over time so I just replace them as that happen. I just throw a handful in, I don't have a real science to it. I also use them in my shrimp tanks as they graze on the infusoria which grows.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
sounds good! I am senile though, so shoot me a pm a few days before hand so I add it to my brain (list).