• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wind Damage

maddog10

Members
Well had to work ALL DAY today, got home at 1:00am and found part of my Bradford Pear tree laying across my dog kennel and shed. There was a very scared dog in there that was really glad to see me. Looks like I'll be cutting wood tomorrow and trying to straighten the kennel. Try to take a picture when the sun comes up.

Theresa_M

Members
That's scary, glad to hear the dog wasn't hurt!

There were a few large trees down around here. I was surprised how quickly they were removed though.

Ditto on the dog.

Bummer about the tree too. You can alway's repair the kennel, but the tree takes too long to replace.

We had a neghbor's old metal shed blown off the pad. The thing has been there for twenty years. Nasty winds for sure.

maddog10

Members
I hate these pear trees. This is the third one to split in the last 2 years. They are beautiful when blooming and they just have a nice shape. When they get big the soft wood just gives up and splits. Have 6 more small ones in the front yard, when they go they are going to take out a fence.

Wasn't too bad. Used the truck to pull the tree off the kennel. Busted a couple of brackets and welds. Bent just a little of the framing. Now CJ has lost half of her shade for the summer (the whole reason I put it there in the first place). Oh well, gonna have to rig up some sort of cover for her, she needs a cool spot to lay down.

kennel-1.jpg

kennel-2.jpg

cyradis4

Members
Thats scary!

I know the wind killed power to a good part of Rt 40 and power to UMBC, the campus at which I am a graduate student.

I also heard that it took out power to parts of PG county and Howard County.

And my sister, up in Ithaca, got close to a foot of snow out of it..... Go figure!

Amanda.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Wow,
The Bradford Pears are pretty but weak.

No problem in my neighborhood but Ron called me yesterday. His power had been out for almost 24 hours at that time.