• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Why are my fish dying

cmcpart0422

Members
I bought the rock from home depot. Its been in there like 2 years with no problems.

Should I soak the tank in bleach water? Lively could you elaborate a little bit more on what you do?

Thanks

Lively

Members
I've never had to do it, Chris. But, I know how it is done. This is what I'd do if I were in your shoes...Dilute the bleach the same as it says on the bottle (okay, maybe I'd put a cup or two more per gallon) filling the tank to the top with water and letting it sit for an hour (definately an outside job!) or two. If I was doing a gravel substrate, I'd have that in there and stir it up every 15 minutes or so - if it is sand I'd stir more often or toss the sand. I'd dump the bleach water, rinse everything with regular water, refill tank add dechorinator - stir up substrate and repeat the rinse refill dechlorinator thing at least one more time.

That should kill anything lingering in the tank. I'd boil the wood and anything that I didn't want to toss and couldn't bleach.

Lively

Members
Run filters in the bleach water, rinse anything that doesn't normally touch the water, but might and toss any used media. I'd seed from one of the existing tanks.

My way is probably overkill for the rinse - but I'm paranoid about chemicals in my tanks.

Lively

Members
the bleach should work for it fine as well - just force the bleach water through it. if it isn't the expensive kind - I'd replace it.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I just dump some bleach into the water and run everything for a couple of days.

Then I drain and rinse 3-4 times....refill and dechlor at 3-4 times the recommended dose. Change all of your media and re-seed from another tank.

Whatever bugs were in the tank will be gone...

Matt