• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Where to get Celestial Pearl Danios in Maryland?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've got some CPDs that I bought as fry, and now that they are adults, I think they are all males. I'd like to get some females.

I've seen them at Congressional Aquarium once or twice (at high prices), but not the last time I visited. Please let me know if you've seen them anywhere else in Maryland.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Sort of

Have you tried to breed them at all to see
if you have any females?

They are in conditions that would favor breeding, but I have not seen eggs or fry or breeding behavior. All of the fish have dark bodies and very bright red fins, so I think they are all males.

lonlangione

Members
I have several CPD's and they can be tough to tell the sexes. If you have any java moss in the tank, take it out and put it into another tank or container to see if you get any fry. Java moss is the ticket to breeding these little guys. Most of the CPD's that come into the country are usually small and really emaciated. They will not do well with the adults. Tank raised stuff right now are pretty hard to find.

Lonny

mchambers

Former CCA member
I have several CPD's and they can be tough to tell the sexes. If you have any java moss in the tank, take it out and put it into another tank or container to see if you get any fry. Java moss is the ticket to breeding these little guys. Most of the CPD's that come into the country are usually small and really emaciated. They will not do well with the adults. Tank raised stuff right now are pretty hard to find.

Lonny

Thanks. I do have java moss, so maybe I'll do that.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I use to use moss like spawning mops with them to get fry. I would just take the moss out once a week to move to the fry tank. Yarn works too (to make it easier). The adults do cannabilize the fry which are eyelash size.

lonlangione

Members
If you do get fry, they will take baby brine shrimp as a first food. You feed the bbs and in a little while you see these pink dots moving through the tank. That is pretty rare for a small fish. They grow pretty quick as well. Let us know how you make out. If I start being over run with females I will let oyu know.

Lonny

mchambers

Former CCA member
thanks everyone

I've moved some java moss to a small tank. We'll see if anything comes of that.

It's very possible that I do have one or two females. (Mathematically, it sure doesn't seem likely that I ended up with all males.) The fish are nearly constantly in motion, so it's hard to be sure of the genders. Maybe I'll take some pictures so I can look closer.