• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

When your Julies are acting odd....

chriscoli

Administrator
When the Julies are acting odd, it's worth checking out what they're up to. Several have been hanging out around one particular cichlid stone....so I got out the flashlight and found out what they'd been up to! I'll be moving them into a breeder box tomorrow!

image.jpg

rsretep

Members
congrats on the fry Christine. I have transcriptus that breed regularly but having a synodontis in the tank does not leave me with any young'uns. What type of Julie are they?

chriscoli

Administrator
These are regani. They spawn pretty frequently for me, but the fry are a pain to remove since I usually don't notice them until they've started to wander from their parents. I just gather them up whenever I have to do major tank renovations and pull all of the rock out. Once I accidentally turned over a rock and found a new batch of eggs....they were a very pretty shade of green.

The other tank mates are Lemon Jakes, which really don't seem interested in the Julies.

Anyhow, the cichlid stone should make it pretty convenient to remove them this time.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Color me confused. If the Jakes aren't interested in the fry, then where are they going? I had Marleri that spawned like clock work. I was able to keep and raise fry even though three adult Comps. were on constant search and destroy mode. The fry hid in the rocks and I would only get them when aquascaping. Do the Regani raise their young in the same manner or are they enjoying the foods of their labor? :)

chriscoli

Administrator
Hey Shawn. I don't know how many I usually lose since I don't usually try to save them. This tank has a lot of rock in it and its a huge pain to remove. I suspect that I lose a few to starvation since I don't intentionally add fry food....they are left to scrounge. But enough make it that I scoop some out once in a while

I just thought that it was awfully considerate of them to spawn in such a convenient place this time. :)

rsretep

Members
I have used air line to syphon fry from tight places in the past with some success. Helps to keep some of your decorations in place

chriscoli

Administrator
I use airline to remove hecqui from the tank (largely because the parents bite!) but I'll have to try it with the Julies!