• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's Your Water Mixture?

mscichlid

Founder
What fish do you keep?

How do you treat the water for the species you keep?

How do you store your water?

What would you like to do different?

longstocking

Members
Tangs....

I just add declor. and baking soda.

Store water? :lol: Right out of the tap :p

I don't want to do anything different Francine.... it's working for me :smashfreakB: :p

maddog10

Members
What fish do I keep? Started out Africans only, but more and more "other" cichlids are making their way into my basement.

How do I treat and store my water? It goes from my well into a 44 gallon trashcan (with wheels). I have a small water pump and heater in the trashcan, warm to 78 degrees overnight. Wheel it into my fishroom and then do a 44 gallon water change. Thats it, for now. Those "other" fish are going to have me mixing rain water into the well water to soften it.

What would I do different? I would hurry up and get that 400 gallon storage tank that I have been threatening to buy. Set it up with a pump and run a hose or pipe through the wall into the fishroom (I am getting tired of wheeling that *@#$%* trashcan around).

Theresa_M

Members
What fish do you keep?

NW cichlids, community tanks

dechlorinator

tap-->bucket-->tank

if it ain't broke don't fix it :p

mscichlid

Founder
What fish do you keep?

South Americans: Cichlids, tetras, plecos, and corydoras

Tap + rainwater or straight tap when it doesn't rain.

225 gal storage tank

I would have liked to plumb the tanks for semi-auto changes. But, oh well...

Laxison

Members
What fish do you keep?

Western Africans, angels, plecos, corys, apistos, etc.

Baking soda, epsom salt (at times because the mineral deposits around the edges are driving me insane!), sometime water clarifier.

In my plumming pipes :D

Like Francine, I would have liked to plumb the tanks for semi-auto changes. I'd also like to have my tanks closer to the sinks so that I can hook up a hose as opposed to constantly taking buckets of water back and forth between my room and the bath tub!

Charlutz

Members
I keep Tanganyikans. My water is 8.0 ph out of the tap, but very soft. with a gh and kh both around 4. I use aragonite sand, and used to add Malawi buffer plus some Instant Ocean. Recently, I converted to epsom salt, baking soda and Instant Ocean. I am still playing with the mixture, but it seems to be working well. I mix it in the sump for my 210g and right in the tank for my two 40g. Add water straight from the tap for 25% weekly changes.

Steve

Members
What fish do you keep?

Malawi primarily, some incredibly fecund N. brichardi (anyone ever read The Mote in God's Eye? I think brichardis might be born pregnant . . . .) and S. multipunctatus (or something else that looks like 'em), a pair of eating machines from Honduras, and, after Saturday, a pair of poor lil' Colombian cichlids who are going to be living with yellow labs in (for them) Montgomery County water hell.

Dechlor into the tank; water from the tap via a hose (I do try to keep it from being too hot or too cold). You've got to love Mont. Co. water: a bit hard, a bit alkaline.
I suppose I should think about softening the water for the Colombians (right, Francine?).

When I have to travel great distances, in the hump on my back.

Well, what I would like to do differently is just to watch and give direction as someone else changes the water, particularly with the NCAAs starting up.

Steve

What fish do you keep?

malawi mbuna and fancy me guppies

prime, sea salt kosher kind, epsom, bsoda ...buffering in tank - crush corals

public water system i guess LOL

i would definately take my neighbor water if is not illegal :)

cyradis4

Members
What fish do you keep?

Primarily Angels and Discus, with a few pairs of Bolivian Rams, a pair of Convicts, two Geophagus, and some new Africans.

How do I treat the water?

For the soft water fish, I add a hefty dose of Acid Buffer and declorinator into a bucket, and into the tank it goes. For the Africans, I'm still trying to work that out, much to my distress. I have very high pH water, but VERY soft water, so the day after I got them home the pH crashed. I"m working on a buffering system now....

How do I store my water?

I don't yet, but there are plans in the works to do so.

What would you do differently?

Lots of things, starting with a UV to kill Bad Things (of which Baltimore City municipal water has plenty), several filters, and a buffering system for the crapy water chemistry.

Later!
Amanda.