• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's that smell?

cholile

Members
I finally was able to set up my new tank. It is a 48" x 12" x 12" (33G) tank. I plan to set up another one soon. The tank, set up on Sunday, currently houses a few calvus and a buffalo head that I have had in a smaller tank for some time. I added some black sand, some whale eye shells, and a large shark jaw for decoration.

As with any "new" tank I set up, I just use biofiltration from another healthy tank (in this case it was the very same filtration that these same fish were using when I switched them from the 15G into this 33G tank).

Monday morning I went down and walked into the room and could smell that awful fishy smell. No dead fish (and even if there were, it shouldn't smell. I've had plenty of much larger fish die in other tanks and there was no smell in the room from them).

So what's causing this smell and will it go away?
Not sure how the water quality could be bad since it was all new water and biofiltration from another healthy tank. i did one 50% w/c last night anyway and just did another 50% today.

Some of the calvus do seem to be breathing heavily. What else can/should I do??

Temp is fine, dechlorinator is in the water as is buffer. There's nothing different in this routine that I've done many times other than that this is a used tank from a saltwater tank that was pretty well, though not perfectly, cleaned and that sat completely dry and empty for 6 to 12 months.

lonlangione

Members
Is the filter a canister filter and if so, how long did it sit without running between the time you took it off the other tank to the time you put it on this tank? Even if it was a hong on filter how long did it sit before being fired back up?

mscichlid

Founder
Sometimes due to the rain and snowstorms, river conditions can produce strong bleachy odors and or musty/earthy odors.

How are the fish doing now?

Did you leave any frozen food out?

cholile

Members
I'm using an AC 70 and the established biofiltration was all taken from the very same tank these fish were in before.

I'm not at home, but when I left a number seemed to be breathing heavily. The smell is probably not as bad as before (either the 2 water changes and/or the chem. filtration may have helped) but it still exists.

I only have NLS and so frozen food is not the issue.

What do you mean by river conditions? I do not live near a river. All the water was straight from my tap as I've always done.

Thanks for suggestions. Keep 'em coming. Hopefully when I get home today I will be pleasantly surprised and there will not be an issue, but I'm not too optimistic.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Crap! I read this thread and now I have that Skynard song stuck in my head... :(
Also, I have no idea regarding your problem but maybe I can pass off the song to the next person. :)

fischfan13

Banned
When you switched filters was the switch immediate?
If there was some time between running the filter/filter media you might have the end result of dieing and dead bacteria.

First thing is to lower the water level...this will bring more O2 into the tank from the Aqua Clear.

cholile

Members
I literally took the filtration from one tank and stuck it in the other, filled it up with water, and moved the fish to that tank. I've done this many times before.

I just did (well, someone else did for me, since I'm not home) another water change. It also appears that the shark jaw (a real one) was dissolving/disintegrating in the water. That makes it the only thing I can think that could be causing the problem. Of course I spent a bit on that and didn't anticipate the jaw
a) not being aquarium safe
b) not being able to last in water

Maybe there is some other problem and if someone can think of other causes I certainly would like to know. I've lost one fish and I wouldn't be surprised if my other fish don't make it either. Pretty bummed, but I at least want to resolve this problem, be sure what the problem was, and learn from it.

mscichlid

Founder
What do you mean by river conditions? I do not live near a river. All the water was straight from my tap as I've always done.

QUOTE]

Tap water in this area comes from the Patuxent or the Potomac rivers or a combination of the two.

I'm glad you found the source of your problem.

cholile

Members
Francine,

Do you mean that our tap water is not treated to prevent odors or other changes to the composition of the water when there are changes to the weather outside?

chris_todd

Members
Oh, it's treated all right, but the water companies will change their treatment approach/recipe from time to time to react to changes in the water conditions of the Patuxent or Potomac rivers. Plus, the rivers themselves change when you get big rainfalls or (as happened recently) lots of snow melt. For example, my tap water often comes out at pH 7.8-8, but starting about two to three weeks ago, it started coming out at 6.8-7.2. It's been steadily inching its way back up again.