• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Whats missing?

cmcpart0422

Members
I just put together this 36 inch demasoni only tank and i feel like it needs something else. Anyone have any input on what i could add or change? Click to enlarge the image.

Julie

Members
Tank looks nice and pristine, but there are no hidey holes at all. Ps. demasoni are very agressive fish, and you'll soon have none with this setup imo. You need probably at least twice the rockpile that you have to have a successful tank, or rearrange the rocks so that you can't see through it but that there are caves, etc. When I had the fish, the fish could barely move in the tank without going around a rock or between rocks, etc.

Just my opinion... I'm sure when someone else posts, you'll get another opinion!!! :D

kbeaudean

Members
Still can't see the link but..........We use alot of rock work and alot of broken clay pots for ours. We have around 15 in the tank. They also seam to be getting along for the moment!! (LOL)

cmcpart0422

Members
K i will add some more rock for sure then. They have already made many underground caves in the sand where it comes up to the rock. Still any more opinions would we great thanks.

Julie

Members
Sounds good! They are a great fish imo.

I also used to use yellow labs in the same tank to help decrease the aggression. The two fish mixed together are fantastic in color!!

cmcpart0422

Members
O so here we go again. I added more rock. I put some more on top, behind, and infront. What do we think now. I would like to add just a bit more rock but the store was running low.

Julie

Members
Looks much better!! but rather than building it up, I'd take off the rocks on top, and stack them more on the sides and in front... it makes nice little tunnels and nooks and crannies that way. The big openings of the rocks look cool to us, but are like the grand canyon to the fish... no protection at all.

It is odd in some ways, but the more protective covering you have for the fish to hide in and get to, the more you will see your fish!!

F8LBITE

Members
Looks good, I agree with Julie about Dems and yellow labs look good together. Another good place to get rocks is the local landscaping stores. Way cheap too!

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
Looks much better!! but rather than building it up, I'd take off the rocks on top, and stack them more on the sides and in front... it makes nice little tunnels and nooks and crannies that way. The big openings of the rocks look cool to us, but are like the grand canyon to the fish... no protection at all.

It is odd in some ways, but the more protective covering you have for the fish to hide in and get to, the more you will see your fish!!
Thanks for the input. I may re-do my african tank now.

Cichlidiot

Members
I've always been leery on placing a ton of rocks in my tanks. I have nightmares of waking up to the sound of shattering and fish flopping on my forehead.

cmcpart0422

Members
yeah I have a fear of that too. The nice thing about the rock that I have is how light it is. There is only about 35-40 pounds of rock in there. The sand in the bottom ways more then all the rock.

maddog10

Members
I have put A LOT of rocks into tanks before. Important to make sure tank is level and the rocks are spread out so that not too much is in one area. You can also put egg crate light diffuser on the bottom of the tank and stack the rocks on it, as it helps distribute the weight.