• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What kind of FW inverts are people keeping?

Becca

Members
Sure enough, my foray into Red Cherry Shrimp has me completely enamored. It got me thinking about freshwater inverts and what people are keeping/ what's typically available in the hobby. I'm curious, who is keeping what and how (community tank, breeding group, feeders, etc.)?

Currently I have:

Red Cherry Shrimp - some in community tanks, some in an inverts-only breeder habitat.
Micro Crabs - inverts-only tank
Amano Shrimp - community tank
Nerite snail - community tank

verbal

CCA Members
I have Red Cherry Shrimp and Golden Apple Snails. I also have some Assassin snails.

I also have ramshorn, pond and Malayasian Trumpet snails, but those are not on purpose.

Ading522

Members
Cherry shrimp are fun to watch! i have these as well as a couple of snails in my only planted tank at the moment, a 10 g.. still looking to get the time to finish up my scaped project with some RCS and maybe blue shrimp! :) these are the only FW inverts i keep.. :)

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Olive nerite, assassin, and unwanted pond snails, red cherry and amano shrimp.

For the summer, some sort of unknown snail from my wife's aquarium at school. They were slightly larger than a pea when I bought them from Rachel last fall. Now, they're the size of a golf ball.

Blaise

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have a small crab that I collected at Laguna de Arnaud (outside of Treint y Tres, Uruguay)...

Using my Dollar Store plastic bin as a floatation aid, I became the first ever American to swim (the 400 yards or so) across Laguna de Arnaud to get to the far side...dragging along my dip net even!

The water was awesome temperature although not really clear enough to take good underwater photos. I found two crabs (attached to each other) under a rock in shallow water and caught a bunch of baby Gymnogeos, tetras, Cory cats and Jenysia livebearers (a few that I still have) in the plants.

Since my plastic catch container was full of fish and water and the liter of beer that I drank prior to my journey had begun to kick in, I opted to walk around the lagoon to get back to the van (vs. swimming). I startled someone's horse (that was grazing) in the area to the right of the trees in the second picture.

I had a fleeting thought of some kind of biotype tank, so I documented the substrate for posterity.

When I returned to the van, Felipe was having an animated conversation with the Mayor of Treinta y Tres (congratulating Felipe for bringing tourists to his town?...or more likely everyone in Uruguay knows each other). Either way a great time was had by all...we harvested the Crenicichla (pikes) that swam into the minnow traps that I set before my swim... and off we went to dinner....

So what happened to the other crab (I collected two)?

He/she had a friend until the friend crawled out of their bin and into the 150g full of fish below...

The little crab molted for like the 3rd or 4th time last weekend but is still only ~2"...

Matt

Uruguay 256.jpg

Uruguay 258.jpg

Uruguay 259.jpg

Becca

Members
LOL! Good Story!!!

Well, if we're counting accidental inverts I've got some ram's horn snails, malaysian trumpet snails, and a bunch of "wtf, get off my plants... ugh now my tank is infested" snails that came with plants/shrimp.

Andrew

Members
I got them a couple years ago from a local hobbyist. Had them breed a whole bunch last year but nothing so far this year.

Where did you get your Blue Tiger shrimp??? I saw some pics on the inverts database, but have never seen one in person.

Ading522

Members
Where did you get your Blue Tiger shrimp??? I saw some pics on the inverts database, but have never seen one in person.

i think breeia from PVAS has some.. wanted to get a couple of inverts from her for my scaped project.. but somehow i still need to find the right tank! #waitinginvain LOL

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
crayfish are cool but if yur keeping them it is a good idea to remove the claws. My 2 inch crayfish inflicted some serious damage to my 6 inch sun cat. Those things can be aggresive!