• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What Is This?

marya

Members
what is this? (other than a fish I mean, for our members in the peanut gallery :p )

I went to house of tropicals today and they had two of these labled as Altolamprologus compressiceps sp. Ochre, which they clearly are not. They weren't much, so I picked them up. Some kinda pike? I wondered if they meant Crenicichla compressiceps, but it doesn't look like that either... It's about 3" long, kinda clear yellowish, and has no markings.

I appologize for the quality of the picture. As I said in an older post, I have a very old (5 or 6 yrs) digital camera.

Thanks!

Steve

Members
Marya,

Sorry, I can't tell: do they have any fins? (That is, I can't make out the dorsal fin.) Almost looks like an albino strain (argh!) of something . . . I'm trying to make a Tanganyika species "fit" the picture, but that might just because of the original sale name.

Steve

marya

Members
It does have fins, but they are totally clear.
I searched through all kinds of Tang sites last night and couldn't find anything that looked even close. The only things that look the same (to me, and admittedly I am very new at this) are the south american dwarf pikes. That is excluding the lack of color on these guys of course.
I ended up taking them back to h.o.t. yesterday, mainly because after the small amount of research I was able to do, I am just not sure they are a hard water species. My tap water is incredibly hard, and I'm already using ro for my rams and discus. I am setting up a second tanganyikan tank, and wanted something other than the daffodills, brichardis and julies. Yesterday morning I was in Dover delaware and found two itty bitty juvenile A. calvus. I bought them, and took the mystery fish back to glen burnie.
When I returned the mystery fish, the people at h.o.t. also had no idea what they were. They agreed that the original name card was incorrect, but said "well, if they were in that tank then they have to be african..." Then they poured em back in with the julies, :rolleyes:

In any case, if anyone else wants to check em out they are back in Glen Burnie, lol :)