• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What ever happened to A. sp. Kelleri?

JasonC

Members
So out of curiosity... does anyone have a clue what has happened to Apistogramma sp. "Kelleri"? As you can tell from my profile pic, I have a fondness for this fish, but my last pair died off well over a year ago. Maybe closer to two. I would like to keep them again, but for the life of me, I cant find a source for them anywhere! Actually, looking at Cichlid Room Companion, they are not listed there anymore either!

So did I miss something there? Did they get described? Re-merged with another mouthbrooding Apisto? Or shoved in the closet like some kind of deep dark secret?

JLW

CCA Members
The status of Apistogramma "kelleri" has always been something of a mystery and point of contention, with a lot of people feeling that they were a morph of A. barlowi. This was made complicated by the pseudonym being applied, and the fact that several fish might have been labelled as "Kelleri." Recently, it was described as its own valid species, separate from A. barlowi, and is now known as Apisto. megastoma. The pseudonym "Kelleri" has been retired (or should be).

I haven't seen either of the two mouthbrooding Apistos with any regularity lately. They seem to be pretty rarely exported in any numbers, and they're not widely bred, since they're really, really rough on their mates.

JasonC

Members
Josh, thanks for the information. I know I have seen A. megastoma on lists, never made the connection though. Don't know when the last time I saw it was.

Interesting that both of you found them to be aggressive. I found them to be just the opposite. For me, both M and F were very mellow, and the couple of times I was able to get fry off them, they were both excellent parents. Thats part of the reason I want them back. I don't have a lot of time, patience, resources to deal with highly agressive fish.

Guess I'll have to keep my eyes out. I really enjoy the mouthbrooding apistos. Very interesting group of fish.