• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What else?

captmicha

Members
I am LOVING my daphnia cultures. SO easy, fast production, and fish are loving them.

I'd like to maximize my tank space. What, if anything, can I put in my daphnia tanks to culture also? Besides moina. That's a given.

One issue is the larger particles of food that settle on the bottom and start to get funky. I don't know how to siphon that without losing a bunch of daphnia. Just siphoning through mesh or a sponge filter isn't going to address junk on the tank bottom. Snails help some but add their own mess.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Get a airline tubing and siphon into a two liter bottle with a hole in the bottom you will be putting the other end of the tubing there.
When you have vacuumed everything including the some daphnia let them settle in the upside down bottle so all the gunk settle in the cone/top of the bottle then siphon the top layer leaving all the bad stuff in the bottle. Don't know if that made sense
Think science class and separating oil and water. But in this case it's daphnia and dirt. Ps you can save the dirty stuff and culture cyclops or fresh water Copepods. But thats another story/project.

captmicha

Members
I'm not really understanding this set up. The hole in the bottom, and how the dirt would float to the top. Can you please explain it some more?

Sent from my KFTT using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JasonC

Members
Get a airline tubing and siphon into a two liter bottle with a hole in the bottom you will be putting the other end of the tubing there.
When you have vacuumed everything including the some daphnia let them settle in the upside down bottle so all the gunk settle in the cone/top of the bottle then siphon the top layer leaving all the bad stuff in the bottle. Don't know if that made sense
Think science class and separating oil and water. But in this case it's daphnia and dirt. Ps you can save the dirty stuff and culture cyclops or fresh water Copepods. But thats another story/project.

At least with my culture, the daphnia like to be *in* the junk... so this would not work. I typically siphon into a small bucket and let things settle... I can net off slowly a good ammount of the daphnia that way, but there is always a bunch more that I have to accept as a loss.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Well there will always be some loss.

Imagine for a sec the pic is of all the dirt you siphoned out.
let it settle
then siphon top carefully
The concentrated pile in the cone/lid portion can be tossed minimizing loss

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1393251259.703373.jpg