• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What do You want to see in a pet store?

Hawkman2000

Members
The question is - should we discriminate against websites that discriminate against members who discriminate against vendors who discriminate against websites. LOL

Hawkman2000

Members
No dead or sick fish
Separate plant tanks from fish tanks (this way algea killer can be used so customers don't get unwanted forms of algea)
Thumnails with basic info (Max size, Lifespan, Aggression, Min. Tank Size, Desired pH)
Properly labeled tanks/fish
Stores that sell pre-conditioned water have allways impressed me.
Discounts for doners
Cycle through some rare stuff
Dynamic web site with a forum
Service with a smile

I think a combination aof what most have said here would be awsome.

dogofwar

CCA Members
My bad folks for naming the "bad example" LFS... I figured that since the one I mentioned was on the other coast (instead of the strange and foreign land called "Virginia") that it wouldn't be an issue... Either way, BAD business practices are a way to make sure that even the most sympathetic guy (to the challenges of being an LFS) remembers and gets pissed every time he thinks about your store (from over 3,000 miles away).

Has anyone been to the alley LFS in Seattle Chinatown (accessible only through an alley...only visible because of a small "A frame" sign)? Even though it's probably 400 square feet (or smaller)...I try to go every time I'm in that town. You really truly never know what you'll find for sale...the old Chinese man who's been running it (I think since the 1960s) is really friendly and knows where EVERYTHING is. He even seemed to remember / know me from my previous probably dozen drop-in visits over the years. Maybe I like the place because all of the filters are buckets / dump filters, it reminds me of my old fishroom, or it's kind of an adventure (what's for sale in this tank? Belonesox, of course...and the next? some kind of plecos I've never seen before...of, and here's a 50 gallon platic drum with a DIY clear plastic window filled with koi...)

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Absolute best fish store I've ever been in is in an alley.

Ocean Aquarium in San Francisco. Justin from Burma and his wife run it, comes in 365 days a year, and has the healthiest most thriving diversity of New World and Asiatic species I've ever seen crammed into far too little space. The space itself is a shambles but the tanks sing and everything seems to be spawning. If you're out that way, definitely worth a look-see.

Has anyone been to the alley LFS in Seattle Chinatown (accessible only through an alley...only visible because of a small "A frame" sign)? Even though it's probably 400 square feet (or smaller)...I try to go every time I'm in that town. You really truly never know what you'll find for sale...the old Chinese man who's been running it (I think since the 1960s) is really friendly and knows where EVERYTHING is. He even seemed to remember / know me from my previous probably dozen drop-in visits over the years. Maybe I like the place because all of the filters are buckets / dump filters, it reminds me of my old fishroom, or it's kind of an adventure (what's for sale in this tank? Belonesox, of course...and the next? some kind of plecos I've never seen before...of, and here's a 50 gallon platic drum with a DIY clear plastic window filled with koi...)

Matt

Ophelia77

Members
I thought the whole point of this post was to name qualities, not names. Holy cow people, can we follow the rules? Mscichlid, I hate to join in with the "Divas", but it looks like these boys just want to push the limits and see what gets caught by who. Way to turn the thread around boys....

dogofwar

CCA Members
I though positive use of names was OK...

Sometimes the qualities that make a good LFS are greater than the sum of their parts (bulletized lists)...

Matt

Ophelia77

Members
While positive comments are seemingly harmless, it's the good places that are inadvertently missed that would suffer, and we (as a club) would appear to be "promoting" only certain stores.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Who you calling "boy"?

I thought the whole point of this post was to name qualities, not names. Holy cow people, can we follow the rules? Mscichlid, I hate to join in with the "Divas", but it looks like these boys just want to push the limits and see what gets caught by who. Way to turn the thread around boys....

Rules? Rules are for people who don't know how to act. Or react. Or perhaps, even overreact. Holy cow indeed.

Threads evolve. Or they die. Can't have both. Ain't no thing - not here, and definitely no cause for a ruckus.

mscichlid

Founder
I asked that no names were mentioned because if you name the good ones someone would just follow up and name the bad ones. Geesh.

Forget about it. Being spiteful just doesn't go anywhere.

Last edited:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I asked that no names were mentioned because if you name the good ones someone would just follow up and name the bad ones. Geesh.

Forget about it. Being spiteful just doesn't go anywhere.

Well that may be but seems like non-sequitiur reasoning unless of course that's what always happens which you would know better than I. Seems like we should be able to talk about stores we really like, and particularly if ones we don't never get mentioned. Also hard to see how trading memories about stores 3000 miles away represents a faux pas but Ok.

And for the record, wasn't being spiteful - more like arguing a foul that I thought should have been a no-call.

mscichlid

Founder
The possibility of starting another thread titled :
Trading Memories About Stores 3000 Miles Away ever cross your mind?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Never.

What did occur to me, and quite recently, was Snide remarks I could have made but didn't.

The expression 'tempest in a teapot' comes to mind for some unknown reason. Must just be my mind wandering, like threads sometimes do on forums. Go figure.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
WOW, the places you all describe would go broke quick. Maybe you have seen it already. It is clear that you have no grasp of the hazards of the real business world of pet stores. A good Pet Store should sell PETS. Just fish stores are near impossible to do unless you really push on-line and that becomes your real business. You may have noticed that it was once "That Fish Place" (probably clumped out by the maderator heavies, but the place in Lancaster County) and since they wanted to actually make money and stay in business, that changed to include PETS.

Now this one "
Ocean Aquarium in San Francisco. Justin from Burma and his wife run it, comes in 365 days a year, and has the healthiest most thriving diversity of New World and Asiatic species I've ever seen crammed into far too little space. The space itself is a shambles but the tanks sing and everything seems to be spawning. If you're out that way, definitely worth a look-see."

San Fran is on another planet and has absolutely nothing to do with us. Some of us were wondering if maybe you aren't an alien and we do not mean from another country.:lol:

George Ya, it's only me.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Have to wonder about folks that express opinions in first person plural...

Now this one "
Ocean Aquarium in San Francisco. Justin from Burma and his wife run it, comes in 365 days a year, and has the healthiest most thriving diversity of New World and Asiatic species I've ever seen crammed into far too little space. The space itself is a shambles but the tanks sing and everything seems to be spawning. If you're out that way, definitely worth a look-see."

San Fran is on another planet and has absolutely nothing to do with us. Some of us were wondering if maybe you aren't an alien and we do not mean from another country.:lol:

George Ya, it's only me.

...however am guessing you're never at a loss for company with so many voices in your head. Pray forgive the unjust perpetration of sinful abuse I have so flagrantly thrust upon thee. That you were thus so encumbered by my lack of consideration for your delicate sensitivities tis a marvel indeed that you still walk this Earth.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
This native son hails no one...

...and my last 25 years have been a treble tithe of time and all else at the very least. I might however light a candle, two sticks of incense and perhaps a b*** in search of a moment's grace - a professedly elusive, reluctant and fickle companion, this being no one's fault but my own.

Quote of the Day:
"We need results. And we don't need someone nice - we need an a**hole".
- 2011 Open-Endeed Working Group Meeting of the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer, Montreal, Canada