• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What Do You Treat Fish With When You Quarantine Them?

F8LBITE

Members
I have a hospital/quarantine tank and I would like to know what you guys treat the water with the during the quarantine period?

maddog10

Members
Nothing, unless there is a problem.

Treat it like one of your regular tanks. Observe the fish and only treat for disease or problems when you see them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Anyone treat for intestinal parasites for wild fish? Use metro?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Sep 15 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nothing, unless there is a problem.

Treat it like one of your regular tanks. Observe the fish and only treat for disease or problems when you see them.[/b]

animicrazy

Members
I assume that any wild fish from CA or SA, or any pond raised anything has parasites. My quarantine is 90 days minimum and treatment is automatic.

1) discus - a) intra-oral injection with Fenbendazole b) Praziquantel c) Metronidazole (in stages, not all at once!!)

2) other fish: Prazi & Metro (remember that some fish can't tale these meds, cats and/or plecos I think, probably others)

Fish I get from a known good source (local breeder) I do what Mike does - observe and treat as needed. You could always get a microscope, some slides and covers, and do a poop smear or body scraping and see what the fish actually has (would make a great presentation/workshop meeting - IMO). There was supposed to be one at ACA but I never found it.

Many people will take exception to my approach - I'm getting used to it!! :D

Just what works for me.

TMS