• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water Hyacinth

Sonny Disposition

No hyacinth, but watersprite

I don't have any hyacinth, but I do have lots of watersprite. I tried it once before in rainwater. I think it needs a decent amount of minerals to thrive.

It's a plant. Does anyone have any I could buy from you at the meeting? Or know where I can get it.

longstocking

Members
Yeah... figured as much.

Bob that is what I was hoping actually.... I want to try it in a hard water tank, coming out the top :)

Sonny Disposition

That would work. I think it likes bright light. I've never seen it growing in the wild, but I've heard it's taken over some canals in Florida.

BevN

Members
Actually for it too blooom well it just needs to be crowded. I have no idea why but that's the trick.

I had tried this for years and never got one bloom till someone told me that.

Imagine that!

steve f

Members
hey,u guys are all corect, the funky water is great, however it will not do well in water fall aera,or with air stones near!

lonlangione

Members
The reason it needs to be crowded is if left in open water, it uses all of it's nutrients to make more plants. When it fills an area and can't grow anymore it uses it's nutrients to make flowers :) If you have it in a pond and never had it bloom, make a ring out of neoprene tubing about 18" in diameter. Float it on the surface of the pond and put a water hyacynth in the ring. It will grow to the edges of the ring and then it will start to bloom. Sarah, you could try Maryland Aquatic Nurseries in Jarrettesville, MD. They may have some available now in their greenhouses.
www.[B]maryland[/B]aquatic.com

Lonny

Sonny are you going to the meeting saturday? I guess I could take some watersprite from you. Also what does it need to thrive?

longstocking

Members
Never mind :) it's a cheapo !! Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Andrew... if you plan on carrying this... let me know if you get some in. MAN is too far to drive for 1 or 2 plants.

Last edited: