• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water changes/Python

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Unless it rains in your fishroom you shouldn't have that problem but that's a given kinda like "hot cofee" on the side of a mcdonalds cup.

Michy62069

Members
I age my water so I don't over stress the fish with a big ph change. You use a big container a water pump (i use a mag) to airate the water to get chlorine and co2 out and heat it to the temp of my tank. When I'm ready I add prime or whatever you use then hook python up to pump and it does the work for you. It is submersable and you can also use it to vacume out your tank. No more buckets for me or dead fish.

mchambers

Former CCA member
If water activates it, then the second it is opened in any fish room, it is activated by water vapor in the air.

It just sounds like I am glad I don't use it.
This to me is a curious reaction. Obviously, many of us use Prime, as to many hobbyists. Water vapor does not affect Prime. Nor do we need to it treat chlorine or chloramine more than 48 hours after it is put in the tank, because it's already done its job.

As far as the 48 hours timeframe goes, do you know that the same is not true for Stress Coat? How do you know that?

The only way we know this about Prime is that Seachem provides the information in its instructions to the product. Seachem also has a nice forum where you can ask questions and get responses within a business day.

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/index.php

I don't know if the same is true for API.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
This is what I do (except that I'm using Safe, the powdered version of Prime). I understand the argument that it doesn't make sense to dose for the entire volume of the tank, but given how inexpensive Prime and Safe are, I'd rather not take the chance.
If you think Prime is inexpensive you don't have enough tanks:lol:. I use sodium thiosulfate crystals disolved in pure water. Much cheaper and it works. This is probably the active ingredient in what most of you are using.

George

dogofwar

CCA Members
I only have two issues with PRIME: the cost and the odor (of the product itself).

Otherwise, I've found it to be an outstanding product...and I've used it for years.

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Cool

If you think Prime is inexpensive you don't have enough tanks:lol:. I use sodium thiosulfate crystals disolved in pure water. Much cheaper and it works. This is probably the active ingredient in what most of you are using.

George
I definitely don't have enough tanks! I agree that this is the primary ingredient in Prime and Safe (BTW, if you think Prime smells bad, Safe is even worse) and probably in most dechlorinators.

Hawkman2000

Members
NEVER PUT DECHLORINATORS OR SLIME COAT ADDITIVES DIRECTLY IN THE TANK. Unless it is for emergancy uses. Slime coat additives will cause the toxins that are collected by the activated carbon to be released back into the water.

Also 50% is to much, from what I have read. Do 20% -25%

Try this - Find a cheap or free tank like a 30 or 2 15's. Get 2 small cheap heaters to heat water. Fill tanks up, add additives, put heaters in, and let sit for 24 hours. The change out with one 5 gallon bucket.

I know it sound complicated, but if you make a system out of it, it's easy.

ezrk

Members
NEVER PUT DECHLORINATORS OR SLIME COAT ADDITIVES DIRECTLY IN THE TANK. Unless it is for emergancy uses. Slime coat additives will cause the toxins that are collected by the activated carbon to be released back into the water.

Or just don't use carbon.