• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tumor?

cyradis4

Members
Hi!

I shipped in this fish a few months ago and its still in quarenteen...... She is a female Labeotropheus Trewavasaw, and probably originated (before I got her) from a fish farm.

The other day, I was looking at it and found this on her tail:
LabeotropheusTrewavasaebubble.jpg

Does anyone have ANY idea what it could be? Could it be contageous? Do you want me to try to get a better pic???????

I've never seen anything like it!

mscichlid

Founder
It's not moving on its own is it? Then it could be a tumor. If it starts to interfere with the fish's quality of life...freezer pop the fish. Although I'm sure the Mad Scientist may want to do a biopsy and culture to find out what it is. :)

Do you notice any on the other fish?

DeeCee

Members
A little salt wouldn't hurt, especially if it starts to fungus. Might be something that clears up - an abscess or something similar.

Let us know how it goes Amanda!

DC

cyradis4

Members
No, its not moving......

And there is something very small, but kinda sorta similar on the top fin of one of the fish I got with this one. Same species, same sex, bought at the exact same time, shipped in the exact same bag. But I can't be sure if its the same things, its really small and kinda looks like a small fin abnormality (I'll be watching it to see what happens). The third Trewavasae female I got with these two looks fine, and the P. Salousi (wild) female in the tank which I got at the same time from the same place is in beautiful health and is looking wonderfull. But the three Trewavasaw females were very underfed when I got them and they were NOT wild..... So they could be very heavily in-bred.....

All four fish are eating like pigs, and constantly moving around and bickering.....

Amanda.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Looks like it could be lympho, which is (I believe) viral in nature. It flares up when fish are stressed. Seen it mostly in CA fish.

Clean water and lots of hiding spots. Some salt and Pimafix couldn't hurt.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyradis4 @ Apr 14 2008, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No, its not moving......

And there is something very small, but kinda sorta similar on the top fin of one of the fish I got with this one. Same species, same sex, bought at the exact same time, shipped in the exact same bag. But I can't be sure if its the same things, its really small and kinda looks like a small fin abnormality (I'll be watching it to see what happens). The third Trewavasae female I got with these two looks fine, and the P. Salousi (wild) female in the tank which I got at the same time from the same place is in beautiful health and is looking wonderfull. But the three Trewavasaw females were very underfed when I got them and they were NOT wild..... So they could be very heavily in-bred.....

All four fish are eating like pigs, and constantly moving around and bickering.....

Amanda.[/b]

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mscichlid @ Apr 14 2008, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's not moving on its own is it? Then it could be a tumor. If it starts to interfere with the fish's quality of life...freezer pop the fish. Although I'm sure the Mad Scientist may want to do a biopsy and culture to find out what it is. :)

Do you notice any on the other fish?[/b]

Yea that's right Franny, CSI Paul might just dissect him for fun. HA!

Anyways, I have seen it before in one of my Beta fish. This is just a theory, but the Hikari Betta BioGold food that I was feeding it happened to have Monosodium Glutamate,(MSG) in it. As you know, MSG can cause Cancer and Tumors in people especially, imagine a little fish.

Nevertheless, I immediately got him off that food and began feeding him New Life Spectrum. The Tumor went away after a month or so. DogofWar is right, lots of clean water and salt might do the trick. Maybe the farm from which he come from feeds them some sort of pellet food with MSG? Just a thought.

Good Luck.

RM

cyradis4

Members
hmmm.....

Did a bit of research on Lympho, and this doesn't seem to be it.... The mass is the same color as the fish (orange) and not white or pink. And the mass is smooth, more like a bubble or huge unpopped blister then anything else.....

The fish have been in my tanks for about two months or so I believe (if memory serves) and they have been fed the same stuff I've been feeding all my other Mbunas, and they show no signs of it.....

Any other ideas? (BTW: I'm not being critical of the ideas, just trying to figure out what fits best with the symptoms).

Amanda.

DeeCee

Members
That's why I was thinking it looked more like an abscess. Maybe he got poked by a fin or rock while being caught?

DC

animicrazy

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mscichlid @ Apr 14 2008, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Do you notice any on the other fish?[/b]

There are no freezer pops in this fish asylum!! Each sick, or abnormal fish is a chance to learn - BTW: A needle biopsy does sound like a great idea - Thanks!!!

TMS

longstocking

Members
Never seen anything like this.... but is it getting "larger" ??

In other words did it start small and increase? Or one day did you just find it this way?

cyradis4

Members
Cant really say..... I wasn't paying much attention to the tank for a while (I was extremely buisy) and only "just" noticed it, but it could have been there for a while.

Amanda.

PS: Its still there, and while it may be getting a little bigger, the fish is still acting like a normal Mbuna!