• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Trout Cichlid?

Not sure if this guy is New World or Old World, but I wanted to share a pic... ;)

This is how I got started in raising fish in tanks. Enjoy!

brooktrout-2.jpg

Last edited:

kewx

Members
GREAT photo!! Maybe you should be trout.shawn rather than convict.shawn! Have you actually kept trout in a tank? Where do you fly fish? Here in Md we have a couple ok streams Gunpower River, Deer Creek and several in Western Md. I hear are really good, but haven't been there yet. SPRING and TROUT Season is just around the corner!

Beautiful, huh? Yup - I never really cared to have fish in a tank before. 4 years ago, I started raising trout in my classroom at school. They are VERY picky fish. If the pH is messed up at all, if the ammonia levels get too high (yup - they poop like crazy!), they die.

After raising trout for a couple of years, and making tons of mistakes, I think I was ready to tackle fish all year round. I started with community fish, and those are INCREDIBLY boring. So - in come the cichlids!

I have fly fished lots of places in Maryland. It is pretty wonderful here, but I head to VA or PA a lot too. I grew up in PA, so it's easy to go back for a visit, and get in some fishing. The best part of fly fishing is there is no season! I can go whenever I want. As long as the water is not frozen, I'm good.

But - I'm pretty sure I'll be a lifetime cichlid raiser. The malawi cichlid video that i just saw (I can't remember the name of it) actually had cichlids rising to flies. Hmmm... Anyone up for a trip? ;)

kewx

Members
It's fun to be out there in the park even if you don't catch any trout. I've seen turkeys, beavers, and many other wildlife. I go there and on Deer Creek above the Eden Mill Dam which was "catch and return - fly fishing only" at one time. Unfortunately, it's not any more. You have to go to the Upper Gunpowder for that now.