• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

This _____ Forum

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have just today been able to access this forum again. The last time was a week ago, Friday the 24th. I do not believe it is my computer or internet access as I have been able to access every other website I have tried to reach. There must be some quirk in the CCA web server, I do not know what it is.

This is not the first time I have had problems accessing this site. This problem seems to occur for me at least every couple of weeks. Have any of you had similar problems?

The most frustrating is when I get a message that I have a private message and because I cannot get on the forum, there is no way to find out what the message is.

Can any of you tech savvy people figure out what is wrong and fix this problem?

Frank

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Maybe someone with more brains than I can figure it out.

At times the server will go down but that does not last long.

I used to have a big problem here at work until we switched internet providers.
Now no problems. It used to be that somedays I could not get on until I went home.

Hopefully Li will come up with something.

I still plan on switching companys in the near future. After the first of the year.

maddog10

Members
I have trouble from work, almost everyday. Sometimes I can go right to the site, sometimes I have to hit the refresh button and sometimes I can not get on no matter what I do. This is the only site I have trouble with. I have no problems at all from home. I agree Frank, it is frustrating.

animicrazy

Members
Frank,

The forum has been a little slow for me, although I can always get on.

Just an idea: In the past there was an issue with MS Internet Explorer but Firefox (Mozilla) was not affected. If you're not using Firefox give it a try.

Access from work might be going through a server; your IT person might have an answer there - I know one such person who blocks, or restricts, access to the ports that lead to certain sites.

Just some ideas.

Paul.

tash

Members
could be a DNS thing... have you tried pinging when it doesn't work?

my only "issue" with this forum as opposed to others is that this one needs refreshing all the time otherwise new posts don't show up. this does not happen on any other forum or site I am on. but it is not a big deal for me...

Try deleting your old history. You may have some of the older links on your cache that are redirecting. Usually this helps the problems you have described.

Also, work computers may have security issues that are interfering. Especially if you are using a work laptop. You have to close Windows and reboot it to clear any of the firewalls that may be in use. My company IT guy told me that, and it solves a lot of problems that are caused by them constantly upgrading.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">I have to refresh one time when pulling up the forum, then it's usually good. Occasionally I have to refresh while pulling up threads but that's not often. I am however having trouble uploading a image for an avatar, but that could definitely be me and not the sites fault. :wacko:

Mike :party0007: </span>

I would suggest that all of you that are having problems, clean up your computer. It will take a lot of time, in some cases a couple hours, but do a defragment session. It will get rid of a lot of junk you have in your files. I do it every couple months. Usually every thing works faster after I run it. You end up collecting all sort of hyperlinks, and crap that gets into the cache and registry that you don't need. If you have Windows, you need to house keep every couple of months.
:angry:

maddog10

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swim lil fishy swim @ Nov 1 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">I have to refresh one time when pulling up the forum, then it's usually good. Occasionally I have to refresh while pulling up threads but that's not often. I am however having trouble uploading a image for an avatar, but that could definitely be me and not the sites fault. :wacko:

Mike :party0007: </span>
[/b]

The avatar is limited both by actual size and file size. More than likely one of them is too large for the file you are trying to use.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">The pic is oversized, but it says it will auto size it for me. As far as house cleaning, I'm not certain that's the real issue. My hard drive has less than 1% fragmentation, I have software that deletes temp files constantly, 3 different spyware programs running in the background. I have defrag set up to run auto every wed nite as well as the constant virus/spyware scans. This is the only site that doesn't come up on the first attempt, I usually have 3 browsers tabbed and surfing all of them and every other page or site comes right up. Luckily for me tho it only takes one refresh to get connected. Maybe the server is having trouble absorbing the wealth of knowledge found on these pages and it get's choked up occasionally. :D </span>

maddog10

Members
The auto resizer did not work for me when I loaded my first avatar. Try to manually reduce/resize and then upload.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phishphorphun @ Nov 1 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
....uh, ignore all my suggestions. Contact the forum administrator. :blush: [/b]

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent suggestion. Especially for people that don't run any kind of maintanence on their pc's. I know people that had their pc's for a couple yr's and they'd never heard of disc scan, defrag, temp files, disc clean up, cookies etc. Everything you suggested could only help and it would be the first thing I would recommend as well if it weren't for me experiencing similiar problems. With all that said, the problem for me is very minor, something that I'm not really worried about. If hitting the refresh button is the only prob I have on a pc that'd be fine with me. :D

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I am using Firefox via satellite.

Sometimes the refresh botton doea get me to the website.

When I cannot access the site I get a "DNS lookup error" message.

As you can see I am able to access it today.

Frank

Paul S

Frank,
Sometimes process of elimination is the best way to troubleshoot this type of issue. It could be your firewall or possibly your browser security settings... Try temporarily disabling your firewall - just to see if that helps. If it does, then at least you have isolated the problem to a specific area. I would also try resetting your browser security settings back to the defaults. Again, just temporarily to see if it may help to isolate the cause. You mentioned that you use Firefox. If you have IE on your system, I would try it just to see what happens with that.

If all else fails, get someone with a laptop to come over and link into your home network. If laptop has the exact same problem accessing the CCA forum, then the problem is likley with your internet provider and not your computer. I hope this helps.
Paul S.