• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thinking

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay, I am bored with my fish. Bored with my hobby.
I am thinking about taking one of my 30 gallon tanks in the fish room and plant it.
What type of gravel or substrate would you use. This will not be high tech but may be gravel and lights.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I like ecocomplete though its a bit pricey, I also like soilmaster select but they don't make it anymore although Turface is made. Those are both golf turfs and do well for plants. Another good alternative is colorquartz s or t grade.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I like the aquatic soil I get at Lowe's or Home Depot. I think it is called schwartz aquatic soil or something like that. It isn't too dark and isn't too light. It seems to work great for me and it isn't really that pricey.

If mad dog Mike is really dumping his tetras and corys, they would make nice planted tank inhabitants. You are right too Pat. Trying something new like that can pump up fleggging interest in your hobby. So can a collecting trip, local, Florida, or SA.

George

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have a half bucket of eco-complete mixed with black gravel, and I may also have some fluorite at the end of the month. You are welcome to either if you want me to bring to the discus hans meeting or the september meeting.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
In the past I have used only flourite in my planted tanks. In my most recent set up I have mixed flourite with eco complete to get a little more black into the mix. I would have used flourite black, but we did not have any in stock and I am impatient.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I used regular fluorite in our 20G low-tech setup and fluorite onyx in the 45G high-tech setup.

After using both, I like the look and consistency of the regular brown-colored fluorite better. The black has a much larger gradation, which makes planting tougher, but vacuuming much easier.

I have seen good results with both, but can't make a fair comparison because there is an undergravel heater and CO2 on the big tank.

Always wanted to use some sort of potting soil or clay, but was worried about stagnant areas and possible decay causing water chemistry problems.

As for lighting, both tanks have double compact florescent fixtures on them. Alternatively, you could use T5s. Halides aren't necessary, especially if you're not thinking of using CO2.

I grow all easy plants... anubias, java ferns, crypts, java moss, hygro.

Dose occasionally with Fluorish fertilizers, though this isn't totally necessary.

Good luck and have fun! You definitely will. :)

Last edited:

Paul S

Pat,
I recently did a planted tank with the Flourite Black Sand and am very happy with the results. Many of the more experienced members in GWAPA like the ADA Amazonia but its a little pricey. If you want to go cheap and you're willing to do a little work, you can prepare a mineralized soil substate from your basic every day garden topsoil. The process for making the mineralized soil is on the GWAPA web site.

ingg

Members
Aquasoil also requires some... patience.... and isn't for everybody. It comes preloaded, but is also loaded with ammonia for an initial growth burst - enough to kill livestock for several weeks, and enough to require some rather large and frequent water changes in the beginning.

I've used Flourite, Aquasoil, Mineralized Soil... I like them all, but mineralized soil is my favorite honestly. Almost all of my tanks are mineralized soil now.

No dosing (okay, a little potassium eventually), long lasting, simple, and cheap. There are a couple plants I can't grow as they just don't like a lean water column, but most go insane - and the low tech plants, I can't think of anything basic that doesn't like it except Blyxa. Blyxa will eventually die in mineralized soil. ;) Ferns, crypts (omg, crypts go nuts, I actually flower them underwater), basic stems, all of them do great.

ingg

Members
I should have said though Pat- if you are going purely low tech, and want simple/fast setup, I'd probably go Flourite black - instant setup, clean black look, and you can get sand or gravel. Mineralized soil is awesome for me, but it (like Aquasoil) also has some initial... challenges... that you may not want for a fast and simple setup.

chris_todd

Members
I can't really add much other than to echo previous comments - easy to grow plants like crypts and swords (primarily root feeders) will like eco-complete or fluorite (I've used both with success). One caveat about fluorite - rinse it really well first, it is very dusty, and will really cloud your tank when you fill the first time.

The aquatic potting soil comes recommended, but I found it annoyingly "fluffy", which made my tank get cloudy, and it was difficult to plant - it would not hold down the plants. Perhaps it would have worked better for me if I'd capped it with 3M ColorQuartz black sand (which is awesome, BTW - looks great, and the grains are nice and heavy, so when you plant, the grains fall around the base of the plant and hold it down nicely).

For a super-easy low-tech setup, however, stick to epiphytes (plants that grow by attaching to something) and floating plants, and you won't even need a decent substrate. Mosses, Java ferns, anubias, bolbitis will all do well in a low-tech setup. Just tie them to driftwood or rocks with cotton string or fishing line and you're done.

Get some good algae-eaters, though, because those slow-growing plants will have a hard time out-competing the algae for nutrients. Olive nerite snails work well, as do various shrimps, siamese algae eaters, american flag fish, otocinclus, and I think black mollies IIRC.

Good luck, and have fun with it! Needless to say, GWAPA is an amazing resource for planted tanks, and their auctions are chock full of stupidly cheap plants of all kinds.

rsretep

Members
hey pat

sorry to hear your bored with the hobby now but happy to hear you are thinking plants

i went with soil master also and like it just fine....no real mess to deal with and i mixed mine in with my existing gravel

but i went way past low tech with pressurized co2 and high watt compact flourescents also liquid fertilizers....i am a bit of an addict when it comes to things that i enjoy lol

good luck pat keep coming back and thanks for sharing lol