• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

texas x jack dempsey hybrids

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I just found out that the female is blue jene, so some of the fry are going to be electric blue texas jack dempseys, I won't charge extra for the electric blues. Right now they look lemon yellow but by the time they are 1 inch (or so I heard) they will start to look blue. I only have about 5 of them.

verbal

CCA Members
I just found out that the female is blue jene, so some of the fry are going to be electric blue texas jack dempseys, I won't charge extra for the electric blues. Right now they look lemon yellow but by the time they are 1 inch (or so I heard) they will start to look blue. I only have about 5 of them.

How could the fry be electric blue if they aren't jack dempseys? I wouldn't think they could get the right gene from a Texas cichlid.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I saw that ebjd babies are yellow, and a few of the fry are yellow, and the mom is blue gene. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they're electric blues..

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Blue gene is recessive. Without another blue gene, the best you have are texas/dempsey het electric blue.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I heard that if some of the babies are yellow one of the parents are blue gene, I minght be wrong.

Thai

Members
I heard that if some of the babies are yellow one of the parents are blue gene, I minght be wrong.

Sorry bud but that's not true. Ebjd fry will be light with stripes at a young age, breeders can remove the fry that are ebjd from bgjd with a visual check. Only way to tell if your jd is Bg is to breed it with another bg or ebjd and see it it produced ebjd. If you got your jd from a lfs and it was labeled only as jd it's 99.999% likely it's a regular dempsey. Usually blue genes on sale are advertised as such.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It is impossible to "see" a completely recessive gene (as the EB gene is) just by looking at a fish. Don't be fooled. If you don't purchase a BGJD from a completely trusted source, and see it with its EBJD parent, most likely it isn't.