• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tetras! Anyone ?

mscichlid

Founder
Anyone here keep tetras and can appreciate their beauty and usefulness? Besides as feeders-please! Been there , done that with blue tetras!

What is your favorite tetra?

Mine are cardinals, crenuchus spililurus, poeciliocharax weitzmani, flameback bleeding hearts and emperors.

Francine

Cartel

Members
I have regular neon tetras in my planted tank. Id loooove to have cardinals just didnt want to swing the cash at the time. I think neon/cardinal tetras look great in a planted tank.

Andrew

Members
I love huge schools of tetras. My favorite is bloodfins for how they school tightly, more than rummynose, in my estimation. I love Congo tetras too, well, almost all of the African tetras are amazing. Vicious b*st*rds, too.

But, there are some other characoids that I really enjoy too... Like Leporinus, Anostomus, Chalceus, and Distichodus. Not schooling fish necessarily, but a shoal of these in the right size tank is incredible. After seeing the scene in the Discovery Planet Earth series, a school of redtail brycon would be stunning in a huge tank.

Speaking of, if you haven't seen the "freshwater" part of this mini-series, make it happen. You won't regret it.

iamzrad

Members
I have a school of 9 tetra's in my community tank (45gal).
3 Red and Blue Colombian
3 Bleeding heart
3 Diamond

These guys are fun to watch as different types bunch up together. I'm normally not a Tetra-fan, but I needed something to fill up the middle and top half of the tank, since the apisto's chill at the bottom and the ram's can't make up their minds.

I plan to add some more as my tank gets going and goes into full planted tank overdrive.

Def. a cool little fish to keep.

Lively

Members
I just got 6 Serpae Tetras! I know next to nothing about them, except they are lovely. Guess I have some reading to do :)

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
My favorite schooling fish are not tetras, though I like the look of a school of tetras or any schooling fish moving around the aquarium. I do not know why but white clouds are my favorite, maybe because it was the first fish that gave me fry. The second fish is zebra danios. Zebras are so fast that they even survive in with a lot of different types of cichlids as long as the tank is big enough. I have had zebras live with a jaguar fish for over a year, but he eventually got them all.

lonlangione

Members
I like cardinals and serpae tetras. But my all time favorite is the pristella and it's cousin the rarely seen coffee bean or jelly bean tetra Hyphessobrycon takasei.

Lonny

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I have cardinals, neons, and diamond tetras. I really like them in my planted tanks. I have to agree on the white cloud thing though, I got those meteor minnows a couple meetings ago and am just loving them. I also really like rasboras and danios. I guess I just like fish!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
My favorite tetra would have to be Congos. After that would be Serpae, Black Phantoms Columbian blues.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have a couple of Buenos Aires Tetras. I'm a big fan of the pink-tailed chalceus, too (although I don't have any right now).

Next trip to Uruguay I'm going to save room to bring back some of the cool tetras that they have down there... If no one takes them, Felipe feeds them to the pikes!

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I have a couple of Buenos Aires Tetras. I'm a big fan of the pink-tailed chalceus, too (although I don't have any right now).

Next trip to Uruguay I'm going to save room to bring back some of the cool tetras that they have down there... If no one takes them, Felipe feeds them to the pikes!

Gee, that rings a bell. I have Buenos Aires Tetras from Andew at Scales. He told me they would do well outside in the warmer months. They not only did well but multiplied like guppies. I recommend them to anyone who wants to do outdoor stuff this spring. They are also pretty tough and make great dithers for cichlids. They are probably hardy and flexible enough for Africans.

I have a group of 6 chalceus that came home with me from Peru last year. I am hoping to find more this year. I would like to try them outside too but they seem to think they are flying fish and might need a cover. A decent cover defeats the purpose for putting them outside. I might just try a thick plant cover.

I have several other tetras from Peru that no one has really been able to identify for me.

Lively

Members
I now know that serpae tetra's don't make good dither's for Jack Dempsey's - made a good snack. :angry3: I honestly thought they were big enough - found one chomped in half. No more playmates for Brutus...

iamzrad

Members
I got 8 bloodfin Tetra's two weeks ago from Scales, these guys are cool, always swim together and when one separates, the group finds the loner. Awesome!

dogofwar

CCA Members
There was a cool green "bloodfin" that we found in Northern Uruguay.

John Patterson brought some back, I believe.

tash

Members
I have some cardinals. I kinda like them, but recently I have been thinking of puting them in the auction and getting something that schools tighter. the bloodfins sound nice... we'll see....

I like zebra's too. I used to have a small school of them many years ago :)