• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Synodontis Petricola

Is this one of the syno sp. That is parasitic? I would love to witness the hijacking in an aquarium. What would happen if they didn't have a host to care for their eggs? Would they know how to rear them on their own?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

CCA Members
Is this one of the syno sp. That is parasitic? I would love to witness the hijacking in an aquarium. What would happen if they didn't have a host to care for their eggs? Would they know how to rear them on their own?

Syno. multipunctatus is the parasitic breeder. I have noticed them get active when cichlids are breeding, but only had one time they had success. I did not see the spawning in this case. I think possibly the male cichlid(Z rock) figured out and is now able to chase them off.

There have been cases of them spraying eggs in an aquarium without a host, but most aquarium breeding is accomplished using a host.

Syno. multipunctatus is the parasitic breeder. I have noticed them get active when cichlids are breeding, but only had one time they had success. I did not see the spawning in this case. I think possibly the male cichlid(Z rock) figured out and is now able to chase them off.

There have been cases of them spraying eggs in an aquarium without a host, but most aquarium breeding is accomplished using a host.

So cool

EdWhite

Members
Yeah, the dwarf Petricola or Synodontis Lucipinnis, which is what I have, do use hosts as well from what I understand. They also will spawn without as long as conditions are nice enough.
Gotta place a glass of black marbles in the tank and cover it with an upside down terra-cotta pot with a hole in top for the fish to enter. Check marbles daily for eggs. Once eggs are found, either remove eggs or adults. Hatch in 1-2 days. Super fast.
They don't care for the young at all. They fry will have to be reared by a cichlid or myself, lol.
It's going to be an adventure for me. I'm not housing them in my cichlid tank yet. I'll wait until I get offspring and then move them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
The lucipinis are egg scatterers. They do not use a host. There have been a couple cases of multis spawning without a host. However in the aquarium they are almost always bred with a host.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zenins

Members
My Petricola/Lucipinnis seem to be egg scatterers.
The eggs get drawn through the canister filter intake for my XP2.
I find the fry thriving in the bottom of the filter when I clean it ;)

QuarterMiler

Members
I've had several spawns out of my Multipunctatus. They've use mbuna as hosts, and then my Hap group when I moved them to a different tank. I think the mbuna get wise to it after a while, but I'm not sure about the haps yet.