• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Synodontis Multipunctatus

Ok, I think I may possibly have a pair of cats getting frisky. I purchased 3 from our friend Bob about a year ago. Two of them appear to be pairing up. The male is constantly following the female and looks like he's trying to entice her. I understand the behavior of stealing a Mbuna egg while dropping one of their own and then after a few days they hatch and eat the Mbuna eggs, etc.
My question is this. I have a 75 gallon tank with about 40 fish in it. All are Mbuna. Greshaki, Socolofi, Yellow Labs, Felloborni, etc. I noticed that the smaller cat appears to be very plump around the middle (female)
- IF there are no spawning Mbuna's what happens if the cats are ready to spawn? Will it be a result of lost eggs?

My second question is that I have a lone male being chased around by the other male. Does anyone want to trade an adult male for a female Multi? I also read that they do best in larger groups. I'm thinking that I would do them a favor by adding more to the small group. I'd like to add some females.

Thoughts?
Advice?

Thanks,
Jeff

longstocking

Members
I'd suggest you keep the extra male and get 2 or 3 more. I kept these for quite some time. Great fish ! It's better to have more than 1 male. I think I had 2 males and 3 females in my group. One male was always a bit lost but when it comes to spawning it's better to have more than one male.

Very rarely will they spawn without a host but it does happen. They will simply do the deed then eat them. It's really hard to save the eggs. I never bothered. I think there is an article some where on planet catfish about how to spawn them without a host.

Most likely what you are seeing... there is a female mbuna in your tank about ready to spawn. Typically they will follow that female around quite a bit.

I sold 5 to scales a while back that were pretty large and NICE! More females than male. Maybe give him a call to see if he still has them. I have never seen a group more out and about than the group that are now at scales.

DeeCee

Members
We have a pretty nice group of the cats as well, and I've been trying to entice them to breed. Same behavior that you've noticed, Jeff. What I assume is a male hot on the trail of a nice fat female, but no spawning yet that I can see. And my host fish really aren't showing any signs of breeding yet. I've been trying to get them in the mood with bigger water changes & some special food too. All that's left is the Barry White tunes to try.
I'm sure Ron's bred these before, but I like trying my hand at some of these as well, so I'll be curious to see what luck you're having & what you're doing too - so keep us posted!
Good luck!

DC

We have a pretty nice group of the cats as well, and I've been trying to entice them to breed. Same behavior that you've noticed, Jeff. What I assume is a male hot on the trail of a nice fat female, but no spawning yet that I can see. And my host fish really aren't showing any signs of breeding yet. I've been trying to get them in the mood with bigger water changes & some special food too. All that's left is the Barry White tunes to try.
I'm sure Ron's bred these before, but I like trying my hand at some of these as well, so I'll be curious to see what luck you're having & what you're doing too - so keep us posted!
Good luck!

DC[/b]

Ok, I'll dig out my wife's Barry White CD next then. :)
Last month I had 5 females holding and the spawning activity was very high. Males looked great. This month there isn't much interest except for 1 female already holding. I'm keeping my eye on her to see if maybe they got involved with that spawning.
WHen I set up my larger tank I will definitely be looking for more of these guys. I think they are a cool little fish even though they aren't seen an awful lot until I feed them.
Thanks everyone. Jeff

DeeCee

Members
I know what you mean - I think they're pretty "cool cats" too. I'm surprised you said that you hardly see yours - the ones here are CONSTANTLY on the move. They never seem to sit still at all - which is one reason I've never tried to take a picture of them. Who can focus on a blur? HA! I'm not even sure what we have as far as male/female ratio - but I'll ask Ron if he would like to trade a female for a male.

DC

DeeCee

Members
Alright, I finally got to see some spawning in that tank! The multipunctatus are in a tank with Ruby Reds and Astastotilapia calliptera (yes I had to look that up!!!). I think the calliptera males are stunning, and I wouldn't mind getting some of their fry too. It was cool to see the cats pairing up and storming in on the callipterus - the female now has a mouth full of who-knows-what? Unfortunately, she's a small female & can't hold much. But I have my toes crossed that we get some fry of both types!

It's all good. :jumping0002:

DC

Alright, I finally got to see some spawning in that tank! The multipunctatus are in a tank with Ruby Reds and Astastotilapia calliptera (yes I had to look that up!!!). I think the calliptera males are stunning, and I wouldn't mind getting some of their fry too. It was cool to see the cats pairing up and storming in on the callipterus - the female now has a mouth full of who-knows-what? Unfortunately, she's a small female & can't hold much. But I have my toes crossed that we get some fry of both types!

It's all good. :jumping0002:

DC[/b]

DC,
That's great.
I have read, and have heard that I want to keep 2 males with some females for better results.
Now I'm on the hunt for female specific cats.
I may have mis-spoken on the activity they have in the tank. They are pretty active, but tend to hang out under my rocks of in between them. WHen I feed them, though, they go nutz.
I'll keep my eyes open for more of them. I am now on a slow search for some females.
Thanks for your reply, and good luck on your spawn.
Jeff