• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

stores in Washington, DC

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Does anyone know of any fish stores in DC? I have been to Riverdale Pets but am looking for others. I imagine there has to be at least one somewhere. I though Chinatown maybe, but can't find one.

Jumbie

Members
Most of the people that live in D.C. that come to my LFS say that they come to us because there is no LFS in the district. I remember one store called.....the "Hut" something? They had this waterfall display in the back of the sore with a bunch of turtles and water dragons. I think it was on Wisconsin Ave?

iamzrad

Members
Not directly in DC, but just around the corner.

Pristine Aquariums
356 S. Pickett St
Alexandria, VA 22003
(703) 823-7878

A really good and very clean store. They live up to their name!

mchambers

Former CCA member
DC

Does anyone know of any fish stores in DC? I have been to Riverdale Pets but am looking for others. I imagine there has to be at least one somewhere. I though Chinatown maybe, but can't find one.
Only one of which I am aware is Petco in Cleveland Park. Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring isn't that far from DC, but it's definitely not in DC.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP

Andrew, over 20 years ago there was an Aquarium store in the heart of Chinatown, but it no longer exists.

Jumbie, I believe the store you speak of on Wisconsin has been closed for a while.

Phil, the store in Va is pretty good,but it's sad that there's really not Aquarium stores in DC. I don't know why?

Maybe we should start a business there. LOL!

RM

Jumbie

Members
Andrew, over 20 years ago there was an Aquarium store in the heart of Chinatown, but it no longer exists.

Jumbie, I believe the store you speak of on Wisconsin has been closed for a while.

Phil, the store in Va is pretty good,but it's sad that there's really not Aquarium stores in DC. I don't know why?

Maybe we should start a business there. LOL!

RM

Yeah that fish store has been closed for a while...we would be the only fish store in the district lol. $$$$$$

Diogenes

Members
yeah, lots in VA and MD, but not so much in DC. The only one that comes to mind is the Petco in cleveland park. Typical pet store stuff...

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Thanks for your input. I went to Pristine in VA the first week they opened. I thought the store had a lot of potential but nothing out of the ordinary. I guess it has been long enough that I take a trip back to visit.

I used to frequent tropical lagoon and showcase when I was living in silver spring. Those were the days where every few miles was another fish store. I do think that DC needs a store. Even though I live in MD, I like to visit fish stores the way people visit museaums... except I can buy the thing I am looking at.

Spine

Members
Animal Hut was the only fish store I had have ever seen in DC.When they closed it was because they lost their lease and had to move up the street from were they had been for years,unfortunately this happened at a time when there was a big upscale growth spurt and rent for that area went sky high leading to their closing.I'm surprised that there aren't any fish stores in DC,maybe there are other restrictions that aren't so obvious(tax,banned species,etc) that would keep anyone from opening up a store.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I WAS THINKING THAT IT MUST BE A RESTRICTION THING TOO. IT JUST SEEMS RATHER ODD THAT THERE ARE NO FISH STORES IN D.C. I FIGURE THEY MUST HAVE HAD A BAN OR SOMETHING. I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Don't think there is a ban

I WAS THINKING THAT IT MUST BE A RESTRICTION THING TOO. IT JUST SEEMS RATHER ODD THAT THERE ARE NO FISH STORES IN D.C. I FIGURE THEY MUST HAVE HAD A BAN OR SOMETHING. I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE.
DC has Petco, after all, not much of a fish store, but certainly one that would be affected by a ban.

My guess is that the higher rents in the District make all the difference. Just try to find pet supplies in DC. It isn't easy.

Lively

Members
There is also the not so small issue of transporting that sort of stuff in the District - most places you can't even load/unload infront of a store. Can you imagine hucking a tank to you car parked in the garage 10 blocks away?

TheWire

Members
There is also the not so small issue of transporting that sort of stuff in the District - most places you can't even load/unload infront of a store. Can you imagine hucking a tank to you car parked in the garage 10 blocks away?

then discover they tow your car away LOL

Jumbie

Members
Animal Hut was the only fish store I had have ever seen in DC.When they closed it was because they lost their lease and had to move up the street from were they had been for years,unfortunately this happened at a time when there was a big upscale growth spurt and rent for that area went sky high leading to their closing.I'm surprised that there aren't any fish stores in DC,maybe there are other restrictions that aren't so obvious(tax,banned species,etc) that would keep anyone from opening up a store.

YES....the Animal Hut...that was a really cool place, and DQ has a point Capital Cichlids of Capital Fish has a really great ring to it.:cool:

Diogenes

Members
Used to be a place on U st, NW but I think it's closed.

yeah I used to buy dog stuff there. I never noticed whether or not they carried fish stuff. I went to the going out of business sale, and they cited rising rents as the reason they went out of business.