• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Starting Fish Room (more Of A Rack, Really) :)

kaj41354

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mscichlid @ Oct 24 2008, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Kurt! That was great!!!![/b]

YW Francine,

I just hope that I can make mine as automatic as Brian's. He and Stephan were in Pittsburgh in August when I was visiting Eric and I got to pick their Brains. Two Great people with a lot of great ideas.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
That is quite a setup indeed! Thanks for the great link... makes me want to set up some sort of automatic water-changing system.

A bit bummed I missed the meeting over the weekend. Sounds like it was a hoot! My fiance Maria and I had been planning on getting another dog and stumbled across one on pet finder last week. We were looking for a shelter dog and came across Timmy. We visited him at an adoption event on Saturday morning and believe it or not, they let us take him right then and there (We had expected some sort of "waiting period"). So Saturday became dog-acclimation/prevent the puppy from peeing on the floor day.

He is some sort of mutt mix.. we think he may be part English Bull Terrier (sort of like Spuds McKenzie or the Target dog). Anyway, he should get along with our 4 year-old boxer mutt, Elvis, just splendidly.

Anyway, was wondering if there was a big difference in performance between linear pumps and diaphragm models. From looking at the Jehmco website, their "DAPPH30" model seems right up my ally in terms of number of outlets. It's also only $99.00. Considering I won't be able to upgrade anytime soon, is there any problem with this pump? Are diaphragm pumps particularly loud?

Thanks in advance,
Tony

kaj41354

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mscichlid @ Nov 10 2008, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Diaphram pumps are considerably louder. A linear pump, is virtually silent.[/b]

There are 2 types of linear pumps however. They are both relatively quiet, one is a linear piston pump, and the other is a linear diaphram pump. Main difference is maintenance costs. The linear diaphagm does have a diaphragm that eventually may need to be replaced.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have the Linear piston pump from Jehmco. The big one.
I have 100+ outlets running and you have to be within 3 or 4 feet of the
pump to hear it.

Costs more but sure is better than the old blower I had running before that.
Will never go back.

kaj41354

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Nov 10 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have the Linear piston pump from Jehmco. The big one.
I have 100+ outlets running and you have to be within 3 or 4 feet of the
pump to hear it.

Costs more but sure is better than the old blower I had running before that.
Will never go back.
[/b]

Pat,

Which model is it that you have, I was trying to gauge which one I was going to use for the new setup.

Thanks

mscichlid

Founder
Yes. The Alita is a linear diaphram pump. Did have to change the innards once since 1997. No matter how close I get to it, I can't hear it running.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hmmm... so the diaphragm pumps may need periodic servicing. That $99.00 one seems like such a good deal...

Well what happens to the pump if I get something oversized for future considerations?

For now, I plan on setting up the 7 - 10s, 3 - 20s and 2 - 40 breeders. 12 tanks would be 24 outlets... may as well put in extra for the larger tanks. Perhaps 2 each for the 10s (14 total) and three each for the 5 larger tanks (another 15). That makes for 30 outlets. I am thinking I should size somewhat appropriately so I don't stress the motor by having to restrict flow too much, right?

Would hooking up a larger pump (rated at 40-50 outputs) and dialing it down be bad for the pump? I know on water pumps, it's not terrible unless you restrict the input. Can you simply have extra open valves that lead to nowhere to reduce back pressure?

mscichlid

Founder
Air pumps will require to have an airline free to bleed the excess pressure if you do not use the pump to its full capacity. The pump will become noisy and hot if there is too much backpressure.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurt @ Nov 10 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Nov 10 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>Kurt I think this is mine. Model #LPH120
115 VAC, 141 watts @
142 LPM @ 1.5 PSI
105-130 outlets*

SALE $399.00
reg. $435.00

LPH120_c.JPG
clearpixel.gif
This is the largest linear piston pump available. Never before has this amount of output been available in a pump this quiet and this efficient. Now even larger Fish Rooms can benefit from the Linear Piston pump technology. Call us about your sizing requirements.
* Conservatively rated for high flow rate outlets. You may get more outlets than we rate the pump for CALL us to discuss your application. Particular use applications will vary.

[RETURN TO MAIN PUMP PAGE]

maddog10

Members
I have an LPH45, LPH80 and a LPH120. I love them all. Which pump I use depends on the current configuration of the fish room. At one point I had the 120 and the 45 running in the room and all I could hear were the bubbles. I now have the 80 running about 60 outlets, all in 75 and 125 gallon tanks.