• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Snails and Film on Tank

tremper

Members
Hi Guys,

Two issues.

First, I'm looking for few dozen or so ramshorn snails for my daughters tank. Can anyone help out? I'll be at the meeting on Saturday

Second, my daughters little 10g tank has this incredibly algaeic (sp?) film, some greenish, that can only be removed by using a razor blade. I've had tanks for 15 years and have never dealt with anything like this......

Any input on oe to remove or resolve this issue permanantly? Her tank is in a relatively well lit room of that helps. Other than that its a typical kids tank, guppies, mollites, platys etc....

Thanks....

msjinkzd

invert junkie
You could add a nerite snail to eat teh biofilm algaes, they are wonderful at this and do not reproduce in freshwater. A small species like clithon corona are colorful and stay small wiht a pretty low bioload. I can bring you ramshorns for your daughter as well, I am the chick with the mohawk and will bring her a bag.

Jumbie

Members
You could add a nerite snail to eat teh biofilm algaes, they are wonderful at this and do not reproduce in freshwater. A small species like clithon corona are colorful and stay small wiht a pretty low bioload. I can bring you ramshorns for your daughter as well, I am the chick with the mohawk and will bring her a bag.

Clithon Corona are really cool and are great for a small tank.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Yes, nerites really do eat this kind of algae voraciously. Any spot or film algaes, especially in a 10g tank, can be wiped out by them rather quickly. The bigger issue is having enough algae to sustain them long term.

longstocking

Members
I have found that the one I got from racheal do a great job. I need more of them but I have so many tanks I need to do it slowly or my hubby would freak on me for spending a couple hundred on snails LMAO.

Yes, they get rid of the slime..... like racheal suggested...it's really about having the right balance....