• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sick pleco?

DonkeyFish

Members
I know, crappy picture. I saw the fish Sunday, but haven't again since (it's at the shop).

Looks like basically the leading edges of his pecs are white. Not sure if it's raised bumps or fuzzy or both or something else, but this pic (taken today) shows it has spread to about twice the size it was on Sunday.

Usually perfectly content under the driftwood tucked away today he was out on top of a rock all day.

No other fish are showing any signs of anything. Peacock tank. Regular water changes, and no other change in params. Unknown if pleco has been eating.

My initial thought was that he had banged himself up on the lava rock--and I'm still not sure he didn't... that stuff is rough! Why do people use it?? Eek!!

I digress.

Anybody have any thoughts? Fish will be coming back here tonight so I can QT him and get a better look.

IMG00128-20100310-1920.jpg

Last edited:

F8LBITE

Members
looks ok to me. You would think if he was sick he would lose a little color but he's vibrant green. I cant see the white patch you are talking about.

DonkeyFish

Members
Upon better inspection last night/this morning it looks almost like the undersides of the leading edge of his pecs have been gnawed on or are eroding. Sorry, that's the best explanation I can come up with right now. He also has random white spots, one before his adipose and some along his underside before his tail, they don't necessarily look "ich-like", but similar, more like tissue than something external (if that makes any sense). He is breathing faster than usual and restless.

Tank he was in at the shop was sand bottom. He had been there for a few months, and previously was here with others since last July when I got them.

Here are a couple more pictures... still not the best, but show a little better. I'll try to get better pics this afternoon with the real camera.

IMG00130-20100310-2323.jpg

IMG00131-20100310-2323.jpg

IMG00129-20100310-1922.jpg

Andrew

Members
Start with a Melafix/Pimafix combo, full doses on both. If there's not noticeable improvement in a couple of days, drop the Pimafix and add Furan-2 with the Melafix.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
i am a fan of furan as well, just beware...its carcinogenic (what isn't) and stains things yellow.

Is the pleco eating?

cmcpart0422

Members
Does it ever get wedged between the heater and the glass? I had a pleco once that did that and got a nasty heater burn. Dont know if that is what happened your guy but I thought I would throw that out there.

DonkeyFish

Members
Update: He's doing better, I think. The red open-looking sores have turned into white areas (not fuzzy) that look like (and I assume mean) he's healing. I found an article on Planet Catfish about pretty much exactly what appeared to be happening, having to do with bacteria present in all aquariums that becomes problematic in catfish/bottom dwellers that basically sit in it all the time. The bacteria start to eat away at the fish, starting from the bottom and spreading over the whole body. And of course he found a nice spot in the tank under and behind driftwood and rocks that weren't 100% accessible to siphon out... soooo.... sounded like a pretty **** plausible conclusion.

I put him on Melafix and broad spectrum antibiotics, raised the temp and added an airstone. Does not seem to be fungal (at this point at least!). Looking at the pictures I posted again they really don't do justice. The white looking areas really were less white and more red/pink sores. Sorry. The pics do look like a fungus.

When the course is through I'll watch carefully, and/or start dosing Pimafix anyhow. Unless consensus is that it would be safe to add the Pimafix *with* the antibiotics? My understanding is that it's a fairly safe additive that's basically natural ingredients, yes?

Anywho, thanks to all for the advice! I'm hoping if he's made it this far it is a good sign.