• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Shocked !

longstocking

Members
ok... I have this tank. It has a powerhead and a heater on it.

Recently I was working on the flow of the powerhead .... a day later when I put my hand in to feed the fish I got shocked. Ok not a big deal... all the fish are fine, even breeding ! But.... I don't want to get shocked every time I put my hand int he tank. How do I get rid of the electric shock in the tank?

I'm sure there is a simple answer.... I just don't know it lol

I tried unplugging the powerhead... I still have electricity running through the water.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd bet its the heater. Unplug and test :wacko:

I once shocked myself silly when a piece of wood holding a shop light above the tank (slowly over time) wicked enough water from the tank to connect the light and the tank water. That'll wake you up :smashfreakB:

animicrazy

Members
The answer is simple:

1) Have all water related electrical components plugged into a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) plug.

2) In all cases - make sure that all components/circuits have a GOOD ground - electricity will take the shortest and/or the easiest path to ground (earth); Personally I like the feeling although maybe I just need a girlfriend.

TMS

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I agree with Paul.
I keep saying I need to put in some Ground Fault interupters and never do. One day it will get me.

Sarah, a few years ago I was on my knees in the fishroom cleaning the inside of a bottom 55 when the light came in with me.
It got me good. Tracey heard me 2 floors up.

I do agree, start with the heater. They eventually start to leak.

By the way I used to have curley hair.
And I know its coming from somewhere so I will say it first. I mean I use to have hair. lol

longstocking

Members
ok problem fixed :) It was the heater .... I don't know why I didn't try that first.

Most of my tanks do have gfi plugs... a couple do not. I admit not smart... been telling Bill I need one for this one plug for a while now ... HA !

animicrazy

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Sep 30 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ok problem fixed :) It was the heater .... I don't know why I didn't try that first.

Most of my tanks do have gfi plugs... a couple do not. I admit not smart... been telling Bill I need one for this one plug for a while now ... HA ![/b]

OK, glad you identified one problem - checked your value on the life insurance policy lately??!!?? :D

tms

dogofwar

CCA Members
I buy and use plenty of used fish tank stuff...but not heaters :)

Some salt water (and probably fresh as well) fish are really sensitive to stray current. I've seen grounding kits. Anyone know what's involved in building one?

maddog10

Members
The ones I have are just a small diameter rod (probably titanium) with a wire connected to them. The other end of the wire is attached to the screw that holds the cover plate onto an electrical outlet (because this is supposed to be grounded to the house).

animicrazy

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Oct 1 2008, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I buy and use plenty of used fish tank stuff...but not heaters :)

Some salt water (and probably fresh as well) fish are really sensitive to stray current. I've seen grounding kits. Anyone know what's involved in building one?[/b]

Ran a tutorial on GFIs and grounding loops - don't really know the source but it makes sense - recommend reading the whole article.

http://www.beananimal.com/articles/electri...the-reefer.aspx

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
10023877_gal.jpg

back_to_the_future_large_14.jpg

1231.gif

The Mad Scientist being Shocked!

animicrazy

Members
Ricardo - I am almost qualified to give you the treatment you so desperately need; but alas I might be too late!!! :D

??? Did anyone find the article useful? - Feedback is always great from people who have "been there, did that".

TMS