• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Shipping fish

MonteSS

Members
I am going to ship my Clown Loach to YSS so "Nemo" can be happy in his 265g with his large group of CL's.

I am in Central VA and YSS is in Md. I was thinking UPS ground was fastest way there and will take 2 days or possibly even 1. Does this sound logical?

I also believe that loaches can pierce the bag like cats? Should I triple or quadruple the bags? I will add a bag buddy. Can an ice pack be added or will this make it too cool. Heat is my major worry.

Any other advice?

Thanks....Bill

YSS

Members
I am going to ship my Clown Loach to YSS so "Nemo" can be happy in his 265g with his large group of CL's.

I am in Central VA and YSS is in Md. I was thinking UPS ground was fastest way there and will take 2 days or possibly even 1. Does this sound logical?

I also believe that loaches can pierce the bag like cats? Should I triple or quadruple the bags? I will add a bag buddy. Can an ice pack be added or will this make it too cool. Heat is my major worry.

Any other advice?

Thanks....Bill

I am in Vienna, VA. It should definitely take only one day from C'ville to Vienna. May be Sarah can help Bill.:)

fischfan13

Banned
OK, forgive me for asking, but I have traveled on occasion from NJ to MD to buy and sell fish (and to go to CCA Meetings:))...can one of you do the drive?

msjinkzd

invert junkie
how big is the loach? I, too, would rather drive or meet half way. Make a trip of it, hit some stores, etc.

If this is a larger clown loach, you will need 3mil bags (at least 2) because of their eye spines. They can be tricky to ship.

UPS ground would be fine, or USPS express which should be about $15 depending on weight.

longstocking

Members
UPS ground.. guarantees it in one day. Should be 10-15 bucks... again depending on weight and the size of the box.

Never shipped a clown loach... so no idea on that one.. so no idea on what temps they can handle.

With catfish ... adults, it's better to use square bottom bags that are 3 mil. Harder to get a tight seal then.... but no holes :)

jrpatter

Members
For shipping fish that can pierce bags. get as thich as you can (3 mil or thicker). Bag the fish, but dont make the bag tight leave it a bit soft, it is harder for the fish to pop. Now wrap the bag in dry newspaper, how much you ask? enough newspaper that if the fish does spine the bag it wone be able to go through the newspaper. Now put all this into another fish bag add enough water to dapen all of the newspaper and then tie tight, you want to get all the air out (yes I mean you should suck the air out) the reason for the wet newspaper is that if the fish does spin the first bag then the paper wont soak up all of the water.

John