• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Salt or no salt, that is the question

Do you use salt in your cichlid tanks

• Yes salt

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No salt

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Okay, I admit, sometimes I salt

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I only use it on my fries.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

lonlangione

Members
Salt is an all inclusive term that refers to thousands of different chemical compounds. If you area asking do I use Sodium chloride in my cichlids, no. Calcium carbonate, magnesium and potassium yes. I believe sodium chloride in of itself really doesn't do much for fish.

When ever the subject comes up about additives to freshwater fish tanks, I immediately think of all the mud bottom ponds in Florida where they grow out fish and I find it hard to believe they use salt in them. Just my opinion.

Lonny

Cartel

Members
When someones acting funny I'll add some salt after a water change or when ones been beat up

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Lively

Members
I don't use any additives, but that's mainly because we're well water and I know I've lots of natural minerals disloved in my water and the cichlids seem to thrive in it so I'm not going to mess with a good thing!

mrkillie

Members
I have no saltwater or brackish water fishes. Therefore, no salt of any kind is ever used (except in my brine shrimp hatcheries)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Like a lot of these folks, I use salt for sick and/or beatup fish. But I think that I'm screwing up by putting in reef salt instead of NaCl. Opinions?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I use Seachem Lake salt for my Africans to make sure the water is hard enough and API aquarium salt for the discus tank. I use marine salt for treatment tanks.

rich_one

Members
very rarely... I have been known too, if I notice anything funny... but honestly, it has been probably 3 years since I last used any... haven't noticed any need to.

-Rich

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I use Espom "salt" for GH and baking soda for KH which I don't consider "salt". I don't use any marine salt, non iodized table salt, aquarium salt, sea salt etc. Not even for sick fishies. I voted no, but I do like salt on my fries!!!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I don't normally use anything in my tanks. If the fish breed in my water then they breed. If they don't then........ oops. lol

Install public water, add dechlor, watch fish.
Repeat
lol