• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sa Cichlasoma Tembe (chanchito)

marge618

CCA member
I bought 6 Cichlasoma tembe (Chanchito) in the CCA auction on Saturday. Two of them went to Ken Davis. I am left with 4. Depending on who I talk to I have either:
2 males, 1 female and 1 unidentified
2 females, 1 male and 1 unidentified

Going to the internet is giving me conflicting information of these fish. Tell us what you know about them. Add pictures and references if you have them.

Spine

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Nov 11 2008, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I bought 6 Cichlasoma tembe (Chanchito) in the CCA auction on Saturday. Two of them went to Ken Davis. I am left with 4. Depending on who I talk to I have either:

Going to the internet is giving me conflicting information of these fish. Tell us what you know about them. Add pictures and references if you have them.[/b]
Hi Marge,
When I researched Tembe's I was only able to find one image of a male on a German web site. You are correct some of the info out there might conflict. I agree with Ken on his sexing of your fish. I wouldn't worry about sexing your fish they will figure it out for you. Put them in the biggest tank possible and feed them a good mix of food and do a water change once a week. The fish that I had paired off within a week or so and one pair laid eggs by the 3rd week. Sorry about the horrid and blurry picture it's the only one I have.

DSC_0108-WebCCA.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Marge,

They're Autraloheros sp, which are really poorly described. I've kept a couple of these (and they're very closely related to A. sp. "local"). They grow to about max of 6" for a huge male, smaller for females. They can hold their own but aren't really aggressive. They eat a lot of anything. They breed in pairs. Mine breed inside of flowerpots. Coloration changed during spawning. They can tolerate really cold temps (down to the 40s-50s) and hot ones (in the 80s). I keep mine on the bottom row of unheated tanks.

Ken and I will be collecting on the Uruguayan side of the Rio Uruguay next month...and I hope we'll find lots of different types of Australoheros.

Here's some info: http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?s=1580

Last updated on 31-Mar-08.

Original description:
As Cichlasoma' tembe.

Casciotta, J. R. & S.E. Gómez & N. I. Toresanni ; 1995; "'Cichlasoma' tembe, a new cichlid species from the río Paraná, Argentina (Osteichthyes: Labroidei). "; Ichthyological Explorations of Freshwaters; pp. 193-200.

Type locality: Arroyo Urugua-i, above Salto del Urugua-í, affluent of middle río Paraná, at 'Alto Paraná' company fields, Province Misiones, Argentina.

Distribution: Australoheros tembe is endemic to the Arroyo Urugua-í, Río Paraná drainage, Misiones, Argentina (Casciotta et al., 1995). Casciotta et al. (2003) mention a record of A. cf. tembe (MLP 8574) from the Arroyo Fortaleza, Río Uruguay drainage, Misiones, Argentina. ?í?an and Kullander (2006) have demonstrated the presence of A. forquilha, a similar species, in the Río Soberbio, Río Uruguay drainage, Misiones, Argentina. A. cf. tembe could thus also be A. forquilha, or the two species may occur together in these NW Argentinian tributaries of the Río Uruguay (Rican & Kullander, 2008).

Inhabiting countries: Argentina (endemic).

Conservation: Australoheros tembe is (NE) not evaluated by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species (2008).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Nov 11 2008, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Going to the internet is giving me conflicting information of these fish. Tell us what you know about them. Add pictures and references if you have them.[/b]

dogofwar

CCA Members
If I remember, fish 1-4 of six appeared to me to be males. 5 and 6 were pretty clearly females.

Males are larger and have more pointed fins. They also have small pointed tubes, while females have broader square tubes (for laying eggs). Tubes on females will be quite evident on fish that have bred.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Nov 11 2008, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi Marge,

They're Autraloheros sp, which are really poorly described. I've kept a couple of these (and they're very closely related to A. sp. "local"). They grow to about max of 6" for a huge male, smaller for females. They can hold their own but aren't really aggressive. They eat a lot of anything. They breed in pairs. Mine breed inside of flowerpots. Coloration changed during spawning. They can tolerate really cold temps (down to the 40s-50s) and hot ones (in the 80s). I keep mine on the bottom row of unheated tanks.

Ken and I will be collecting on the Uruguayan side of the Rio Uruguay next month...and I hope we'll find lots of different types of Australoheros.

Here's some info: http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?s=1580

Last updated on 31-Mar-08.

Original description:
As Cichlasoma' tembe.

Casciotta, J. R. & S.E. Gómez & N. I. Toresanni ; 1995; "'Cichlasoma' tembe, a new cichlid species from the río Paraná, Argentina (Osteichthyes: Labroidei). "; Ichthyological Explorations of Freshwaters; pp. 193-200.

Type locality: Arroyo Urugua-i, above Salto del Urugua-í, affluent of middle río Paraná, at 'Alto Paraná' company fields, Province Misiones, Argentina.

Distribution: Australoheros tembe is endemic to the Arroyo Urugua-í, Río Paraná drainage, Misiones, Argentina (Casciotta et al., 1995). Casciotta et al. (2003) mention a record of A. cf. tembe (MLP 8574) from the Arroyo Fortaleza, Río Uruguay drainage, Misiones, Argentina. ?í?an and Kullander (2006) have demonstrated the presence of A. forquilha, a similar species, in the Río Soberbio, Río Uruguay drainage, Misiones, Argentina. A. cf. tembe could thus also be A. forquilha, or the two species may occur together in these NW Argentinian tributaries of the Río Uruguay (Rican & Kullander, 2008).

Inhabiting countries: Argentina (endemic).

Conservation: Australoheros tembe is (NE) not evaluated by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species (2008).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Nov 11 2008, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spine @ Nov 11 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Nov 11 2008, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Marge,
When I researched Tembe's I was only able to find one image of a male on a German web site. You are correct some of the info out there might conflict. I agree with Ken on his sexing of your fish. I wouldn't worry about sexing your fish they will figure it out for you. Put them in the biggest tank possible and feed them a good mix of food and do a water change once a week. The fish that I had paired off within a week or so and one pair laid eggs by the 3rd week. Sorry about the horrid and blurry picture it's the only one I have.

DSC_0108-WebCCA.jpg

[/b][/quote]

Thanks Kevin,
The fish in your picture looks like the fish I have. From what I can gather the pic is of a male. If so I have 1 female and 2 maybe 3 males. This is the only picture I have seen that looks like my fish.

marge618

CCA member
Matt,
I am really looking forward to pics and your report on the collecting trip. When you come back from
collecting on the Uruguayan side of the Rio Uruguay next month... I hope you bring back lots of different types of Australoheros. Please shoot me a PM when you return.

It should be a real challenge for you to match the males with the right females in the wild. I hope to get the opportunity to see the fish you bring back = in person.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I brought back about 4 different ones from Uruguay... they'll breed in the spring so hopefully I'll have some little ones available shortly thereafter.

I had a whole bunch of little Austr. sp. "local" but lost them while we were gone for a couple weeks.

I don't think Ken Davis has any for sale right now, either...

fishfarm

Members
I have 4 species, Red Ceibal, Rio Yi, Sauce de Canada and Paso Pache. I should have fry from at least some of them by the summer. Ken