• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rotkeil (red Shoulder) Sererum

marge618

CCA member
Got a pair of rotkeil at the CCA meeting. When I got them home they were even bigger than I imagined. Set them up in a 40g tank with a big piece of driftwood... and waited for them to act like convicts. :wacko:

Well, 4 days later and they were still sitting around looking forlorn. Back to the internet for research. Then to Aquarium Center (now Depot) to talk to Gloria. Reality check. Forget finding out what the best food is... whether to add boiled oak leaves to the scape.. and check out the basics. Found out that my heater wasn't working... new heater...

at which point I'm doing a little dance in the corner like this:

willy_nilly.gif

WOO!

Mission successful!

marge618

CCA member
Sorry for the double posting. I was trying to edit the spelling in the topic line :spanka:

(So how do you change the new topic title after you have posted it?

fishfarm

Members
Heros sp. Rotkeil is the correct name until someone gets around to giving them a proper scientific discription (not severum, which is a totally different species. Pet peeve of mine). They hail from North Central Peru, Acid pH (below 6.5) and soft water to breed, they do just fine in tap water if you just want to look at them, keep them warm (78-82F) and feed them a variety of food, they will eat anything, I got mine to breed feeding them flakes, pellets, bloodworms and the my beefheart mix I feed the discus. Ken

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I promise that yours have spawned and had a successful hatch in tap water Marge. One thing I didn't even think of is that this is probably the first time they have been alone. The first time they spawned there were others of their own kind in the tank and there were Platys with them after that. Maybe they need some dithers. Got any good size tetras?

Beyond that, it does take them awhile to adjust to a new environment. Sometimes a little patience pays big rewards. They'll come around.

George

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The group that I had were wilds and it took me about 6 months before they settled down and bred.

They will eat just about anything. I used Spectrum and beef heart mostly.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
That makes yours F1s Marge. Yours are offspring of Pat's. It does take time for them to settle in and make a tank their own.

George