• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Reptile Show in Timonium

dogofwar

CCA Members
My daughter and I went to the Mid-Atlantic Reptile Show (MARS) today in Timonium (http://www.reptileinfo.com/Home.aspx ) and all I can say is, "Wow!"...

It was at the Maryland Fairground and the exhibitors filled a building. Each table was pretty much covered in plastic containers of lizards, snakes, frogs, etc. of all shapes and sizes. Some people are all about the provenance of the strains of their reptiles to the wild (although wild animals aren't permitted to be sold) and some are all about "morphs" of fancy patterns that are mutations in the wild ("Look it's a lemon pie-bald boa). Amazingly, the two groups seemed to get along, sometimes even in the same booth :rolleyes:

Proceeds from admissions, etc. go to actually buy and conserve rain forest in Costa Rica, which is pretty cool. They also were collecting funds (in exchange for kids crafts) for rescue and care of abandoned / discarded reptiles and snakes (because, of course, people never buy a baby snake without being completely prepared to house and maintain a 20' monster for like 50 years, right?).

I'm not really into reptiles (they don't speak to me like fish do) but my daughter is fascinated. Maybe the dart frogs are kinda cool (especially since they can be bred and won't poison anyone in captivity). Anyway, it was a pretty cool way to spend a couple hours of Sunday afternoon. I came home with 1,000 superworms for $15...which some people would call crazy and others would call a good deal. I passed on the (inevitably escaping) crickets.

The place was packed and there were probably 30-40 vendors. Really eye-opening.

Matt

Cartel

Members
The bank account did it for me. I have been wanting a panther chameleon for awhile now and that was a good chance!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Dude, I need a chameleon like I need a hole in my head ;)

I hadn't heArd about it until sat and was going to bmore aquarium anyway. Well worth the trip

The bank account did it for me. I have been wanting a panther chameleon for awhile now and that was a good chance!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I went to the MARS show a few years ago and loved it. Thats where I got my juvenile pair of bearded dragons. There were so many herps there it was tough to see everything. Snakes seemed to have the most prevalence, but there were a ton of lizards too. Chameleons are nice to keep but need pretty special care and housing conditions. If I weren't a fish nut, I'd probably have more reptiles.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I would have stayed longer but my 4 year olde patience as waning

For whatever reasons reptiles don't speak to me like fish do

And - although I get the occasional jumper - the prospect of reptile escape is much more likely and crazy

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thats what they make locking screen clips for. I've had a few fish jump out on me over the years, but never had a reptile escape. I didn't lock the top of my dragon cage and they never escaped. I enjoy fish more, but reptiles are very low maintenance. No water changes, less diseases to worry about, and easy to keep cages clean.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I actually have everything for the setup! I just need the cham! But the ones i keep looking at are around $400...
Dude, have you checked Rick's in Frederick? I know they have Jackson's chameleons sometimes, I thought I may have seen a panther there once. Give it a try, they may be able to help you track one down.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah vieled and jacksons are a dime a dozen. But im looking for a Blue barred Ambilobe Panther.
If you have to be picky, its probably not going to be easy to find or cheap. But, you'll be one of the few people that have them if they're that hard to find.

cmcpart0422

Members
I have a gecko and a tarantula. They aren't as cool as my fish but cool to look at for about 10 seconds. The Tarantula if fun to feed i guess.

Lively

Members
So - because of this thread - I took a gander at dart frogs. My middle daughter wants a "froggy tank" She's going to have tons of fun making it - after she lives another 6 years, moves out and gets a freaking job!! LOL

Cheapest frog I found was $65!

Lively

Members
Yeah, I stupidly told her about yours - that's why she's been pestering me for one since back in July... I thought I'd see what keeping those kinds of critters entail. I was considering letting her save for one until I read this in the description, "noisey"!