• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Report On Spencer's Talk Last Night

Sonny Disposition

Hi all. I drove out to Fairfax last night to hear Spencer Jack's talk on collecting in Uruguay. Someday, when I'm not paying tuition for somebody or other, I think that's the first trip I plan to take.

Uruguay is such a cool country. Settled by mostly Germans, Swedes, and Italians, more like a European country than a South American Country. It's basicaly a lot of low rambling hills. Water pours off the hills, forming lots of little streams, rivulets, and ponds that are just filled with--neat fish! In fact, the fish there have speciated so much that you can find different species on different sides of the hills. Lots of cool geophagus, paleatus-type cories, weird plecos, ancistrus and farlowella, and weird predatory characins with lots of teeth. Unlike Brazil, which doesn't allow collecting, the Uruguayan Government issues permits to hobby collectors. The climate is like Florida, and the fish can handle temperatures from the low forties up to the high 90s.

I know from other talks that Uruguay also has lots of cool killies. Spencer didn't include these, as he isn't crazy about killies. (I can see his point. Lots of killies are incredibly beautiful, but hide all the time. They jump out of the tank at every chance they get, often through the tiniest opening. And a lot of them conduct search and destroy missions on their own eggs, requiring you to pick mops at regular intevals.)

Most of Uruguay is covered with pasture land. Ranchers raise free range sheep and cattle. Because they have such a meat surplus, Uruguayans are always barbecuing--slow roasting over a wood embers. Jack says the Uruguayans eat like Hobbits, and tours generally offer two breakfasts. Barbecue dinners are washed down with 9 percent alcohol European style beer. People have gone on his trips and gained 10 pounds.

Someday. sigh.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
HA! LOL!!!

Actually, the local beverages are outstanding and the women are Beautiful :jumpy: , not to mention the food is out of this world. Really! :p

SubMariner

Sonny Disposition

The only other thing I would add is that you need to be really careful around Richard when he drinks. One time, Richard, Paul and I were in the old Dietle's Tavern on Seminary Road in Silver Spring. This was a few years ago, before it sold out and became an oriental rug shop. We had ordered a round of pickled eggs and were drinking Tecate boiler makers. In case you didn't know, those are shots of Seagrams 7 chased down with a mouthful of Tecate. I don't know why--Paul suggested the bioler makers. Richard said we should order Tecate to chase them down. It sounded like a good idea to me at the time, so I went along with it.

After about an hour or so we were sitting there and I was feeling pretty happy. And this military guy came in. I think he came over from Walter Reed. He was really ripped--bulging muscle upon bulging muscle. Big guy too. I'd guess 6'3, 6'4. He was minding his own business, sitting at the bar and talking to this guy. then the conversation shifted to cichlids and the military guy got a little loud.

"I hate Aulonocaras," he said. "The females don't have any color, and all they do is spit sand all day. Stinkin' mouthbrooders."

Paul and I just looked at each other.

Richard didn't say anything. He got up from his bar stool, tapped the guy on the shoulder, and then knocked him flat with a right cross to the chin. The guy sprawled backwards on the bar. Richard picked him up in a fireman's carry, spun him around two or three times and threw him right through the picture window.

Paul said: "Maybe we should go up to Chicken Basket and gets some gyros."

We got Richard out of there before the cops showed up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ May 14 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am not going to bail the three of you out of jail down there![/b]

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ May 15 2008, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">HUH??? I guess I am Legend Now, COOL!!!

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Sonny, I reread the story again and I must admit the details are encrypted. The drama scene where the confrontation takes place was quite compelling. You had me on my toes and I was literally chewing on my nails withForget the Biotope Sonny, it's time to be screenwriter. ;) :D

Sonny Disposition

Anytime. Remind me to tell you all sometime how Pat, Marge and I fixed the flux capacitor, got the time machine working again and foiled the AXIS plot to assasinate FDR.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SubMariner @ May 15 2008, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sonny, I reread the story again and I must admit the details are encrypted. The drama scene where the confrontation takes place was quite compelling. You had me on my toes and I was literally chewing on my nails withForget the Biotope Sonny, it's time to be screenwriter. ;) :D

[/b]

animicrazy

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ May 14 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am not going to bail the three of you out of jail down there![/b]

That's OK Mandog; I pack muchos heeteros (phasers).

TMS

PS: If that doesn't work I'll heave some Latin at 'em!!! - You might be surprised what a DEAD language can do to a person !!