• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Recommendation about plant sales at Club auctions:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I sometimes buy duckweed at auctions.
My fish don't eat it.
I don't have much in my tanks.

Everyone tells me you can't kill it.

I can!

mscichlid

Founder
Alum USP is used to control and kill snails and microscopic bugs, such as water
flies on new live aquarium plants. It can be used as 1 hour dip or 48-72 hours soak.
Short term dip may kill adult snails, but will not kill eggs. Longer soaking is
recommended for killing snails eggs right after they hatch. Alum USP is
aluminum compound that is not so harsh on live plants, as cooper sulfate. Usage of
Alum USP is recommended in a separate container. Below you will find dosages
to prepare working solution volume of 1 gallon. For fewer plants – smaller volume
of solution may be required . For example: to prepare 1 quart of working solution,
All dosages that are used for making of 1 gallon must be divided by 4.
My packages are 1 ounce, which is equal to 30 grams.

Hey Mike, is this your receipe? If not, please post yours.

Alum Dip: (up to 1 hour)
The Alum dip is more for killing microscopic bugs. Use at 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. For snails and snail eggs a 2-3 hour soak in stronger solution of 3 tablespoons per gallon of water is a better choice.
Alum Soak:
Use 9-10 teaspoons (3 table spoons) to 1 gallon of water: soaks of 2 to 3 days are needed to kill snails and snail eggs.

mab

Members
Alum USP is used to control and kill snails and microscopic bugs, such as water
flies on new live aquarium plants. It can be used as 1 hour dip or 48-72 hours soak.
Short term dip may kill adult snails, but will not kill eggs. Longer soaking is
recommended for killing snails eggs right after they hatch. Alum USP is
aluminum compound that is not so harsh on live plants, as cooper sulfate. Usage of
Alum USP is recommended in a separate container. Below you will find dosages
to prepare working solution volume of 1 gallon. For fewer plants – smaller volume
of solution may be required . For example: to prepare 1 quart of working solution,
All dosages that are used for making of 1 gallon must be divided by 4.
My packages are 1 ounce, which is equal to 30 grams.

Hey Mike, is this your receipe? If not, please post yours.

Alum Dip: (up to 1 hour)
The Alum dip is more for killing microscopic bugs. Use at 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. For snails and snail eggs a 2-3 hour soak in stronger solution of 3 tablespoons per gallon of water is a better choice.
Alum Soak:
Use 9-10 teaspoons (3 table spoons) to 1 gallon of water: soaks of 2 to 3 days are needed to kill snails and snail eggs.

Yes, essentially the same. After the 2 to 3 day soak I do a water change and then hit the plants with a fluke tab, especially if doing this with java moss I intent to use as a breeding medium for tetras, etc.

What's so wrong about duckweed, fish food right??? I love it!!!!! Enought on this tread

For the planted tank folks, duckweed causes shading issues and with some of the more sensitive plants, a little shade can cause them to die off quickly. If the duckweed gets out of hand and you are using an HOB then you constantly have the duckweed rotating in the water column and usually with planted tanks you dont have many fish that will consume it so it takes off and covers the whole surface which makes aquascaping a huge challenge.