• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Raising PH

NYfan78

Members
I have heard that adding Baking soda or powder will raise the ph in your tank. Is this true and if so which one the soda or the powder?

fischfan13

Banned
What is your tap ph?
What is the ph you are trying to get in your tank?

Certain rocks such as limestone (Texas Holey Rock) and substrates (crushed coral) will keep your tanks at around 7.4 - 7.6 without adding a thing, especially if your tap is above 7.0 .

Baking soda is the item that you would want to use if you need to increase ph.

Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), but it includes the acidifying agent already (cream of tartar), and also a drying agent (usually starch), these are the items that you want to use to puff up your cookies and cakes.:lol:

NYfan78

Members
well my ph now is about 7.0-7.5. I have crushed coral int here now and going to be getting about 40# of holey rock in the next couple weeks. no fish yet. Going do to africans. Tape water is i think 7.0. what now? Do i add some baking soda? Will the ph then stay up at 8.0 what i need? help...:)

fischfan13

Banned
Are the Africans Wild Caught, or tank raised?
Malawi, Victorians or Tangs?
WC's and tank raised need different ph's as well.
Get a definite ph reading.
7.0 - 7.5 is not very precise, sorry.
What size tank?
If it's a very large tank 40lbs of Holey Rock is barely going to raise your ph.

NYfan78

Members
Its a 55 gallon. I have 2inches deep of crushed coral. plus ill have the 40# of holey rock. Now when i add the baking soda will it stay at the 8.0 ph i need or go right back down in a few days?

fischfan13

Banned
Ok, so now I will definitely defer to Sarah for exact measurements but I believe that adding about 2 tbls of baking soda will slightly bring up the ph.

Of course other things like driftwood will fight the rise in ph.

Check your tank. With 2" of crushed coral, some Holey Rock and tap of at least 7.0 you should be able to keep your tank at around 7.6.
This would be perfect for most tank raised Africans.

Its 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons to get your ph where you need it. My water comes out of the tap at 7.6 PH. I mix in a bucket with a few gallons then dump it in the tanks near the end of filling my tank after a water change. My tanks PH stays at 8.2 with weekly or biweekly water changes. I make sure I keep my WC Moba tank at a higher ph because in the wild its even higher than I keep it.

toddnbecka

Members
You can add as much baking soda as you like. It won't raise the pH much higher than 8.0, but adding more will raise the KH (KH is carbonate hardness) which keeps the pH stable. Over time biological activity produces organic acids. They react with the carbon in the carbonates, then the pH gradually drops.

Charlutz

Members
No, it will raise the general hardness of the water but not the ph. Baking soda is the easiest way to go IMO. Cheap, readily available and most importantly, it works.