• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Porein Skimmer for Freshwater setup.

I used to have a saltwater setup and I had a protien skimmer as part of the filtration. Before I added the protein skimmer, I could never get my my nitrates down to 0ppm, they would always be around 5ppm. Once I added the Protein Skimmer my nitrates went to zero and never came up again, and as is custom with me, I crowded the tank a little bit and the nitrates never went past 0ppm. So my question is, Why don't more freshwater fish keepers use protien Skimmers as part of the filtration? I am not using one because I sold mine when I took down my saltwater tank, but I am probably gonna buy one and try it out.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've seen a thread (on MFK, I think) by a guy names dsturm (Duane) about the freshwater protein skimmer that he built. Getting super fine bubbles in FW is harder than SW but it works the same way.

Charlutz

Members
I've seen a thread (on MFK, I think) by a guy names dsturm (Duane) about the freshwater protein skimmer that he built. Getting super fine bubbles in FW is harder than SW but it works the same way.

You can search for the threads by DuaneS on cichlid-forum.com. He was the guy I remembered in the other thread where CCT mentioned freshwater skimmers and whether they'd work.

I have seen his thread but I was wondering if the skim could be a less wet. He collects alot of wet watery skim, not the dry foamy stuff.

If you see the link I posted it seems like the foam produced is the thick dry foam. I just don't know how practical these skimmers would be inside a stand it seems they are a little big.

Andrew

Members
What kind of protein skimmer did you use? Brand/size/etc. Was it actually removing gunk as far as you could tell?

I'm thinking a protein skimmer could be valuable on freshwater even if it's not removing dissolved organics. For instance, they could be used as a gas exchange chamber that's a little less messy than an air pump and stone.

It's also possible to use a protein skimmer as an ozone reactor, which can dramatically improve water quality.

Needless to say, every DIY protein skimmer that I've seen looks like a giant bong!

Yes, I thought I was the only the one that used to think that:D.

Getting back to the subject, I think I could build a DIY skimmer, but I have an extra skimmer laying around (pump is bad) from my saltwater fish keeping days. I am planning on setting it up but I would need to get an overflow (tank not drilled), sump, pump for skimmer and return pump. Sooner or later I will setup and try it for myself. I really don't need it, my water parameters are great, fish are healthy. I just wanted to know if this could enhance the filtration a little more.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - it will facilitate getting your nitrates down, especially. I'm a believer in lots of water changes. Daily even. But, especially in mature tanks, getting nitrate really low can be a challenge. This can help with the last bit.

I think that the most effective way to run something like this would be to use the exhaust air from a blower or other big air pump. Maybe even a dedicated Coralife 65 or other really big hobby pump (I have one running about 40 boxes and sponges). In other words, lots of air to make it work.

Another alternative is a freshwater refugium...

I had thought of a freshwater refugium but I would need the sump. I think oversizing the pump and maybe modifing the impeller so it can chop the water into finer bubbles would work best.