• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Plant light question

I need to replace bulbs. I have a question. Some of my bulbs are 6000K and some are 10,000 What is the difference? I need something the plants will like but not too bright as my keyholes don't like too much light

6000k has a redder spectrum and is better for plants strangely it doesn't appear as bright as 1000k which is very white and bright but the spectrum isn't as good for plants. Sounds like 6000k woeyld be better for what you need.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
+1 on Dan's comments. I like the 6500k bulbs on my tanks. I find the 10,000k lamps to be too harsh.

Becca

Members
The Kelvin (K) rating has nothing to do with the brightness of the light, it has to do with the color.

Plants like a K rating of around 6500. Usually I do planted tanks with one 6500 and one 10000 K light (I've got 2 for sale right now if they fit your fixture).

6500 encompasses more of the red-end of the color spectrum and I believe 10,000 encompasses the full spectrum and looks whiter.

Combining the two will bring out color in your fish and help keep your plants healthy. If your plants are healthy, they'll shade the tank, and your fish will be happy.