• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Otto Cats In With Juvi Mbuna?

cyradis4

Members
Hi!

I've got a tank with a bunch of juvi Mbuna (about 1 to 2 inches) that is being taken over by pale green algae. The stuff Otto Cats relish..... And I"ve got 4 ottos in a tank that has been well and truely cleaned of pale green algae.....

If I get the ottos used to the higher pH first, can they go in with the small Mbunas for a month or so? I DO NOT want the Ottos to come out second best in this experiment, but I also don't have the time to clean the tank walls of this algae and I can't get pics with it there!!!!!!!

The ottos are full grown, all of an inch or so......

Later!
Amanda.

PS: What a better solution to plecos!!!!! At least for Angel and Discus tanks, where they will not be bothered.....

Sonny Disposition

I'm wondering if ottos aren't too fragile for the baby cichlids. What about baby ancistrus?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyradis4 @ Apr 11 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi!

I've got a tank with a bunch of juvi Mbuna (about 1 to 2 inches) that is being taken over by pale green algae. The stuff Otto Cats relish..... And I"ve got 4 ottos in a tank that has been well and truely cleaned of pale green algae.....

If I get the ottos used to the higher pH first, can they go in with the small Mbunas for a month or so? I DO NOT want the Ottos to come out second best in this experiment, but I also don't have the time to clean the tank walls of this algae and I can't get pics with it there!!!!!!!

The ottos are full grown, all of an inch or so......

Later!
Amanda.

PS: What a better solution to plecos!!!!! At least for Angel and Discus tanks, where they will not be bothered.....[/b]

DeeCee

Members
Amanda,

be careful of your otto cats with discus, I had them suck the slime off of them at night & leave "kissy" marks on them.

DC

longstocking

Members
I have done this ... and well it kinda works. I had this otto cat for years that could take any ph. 8.2 and below :lol: I would raise tangs with this little dude and he did fine for about 4 years :lol:

I really don't recommend this though... I think you are asking for a dead otto. I just lucked out and got a very smart and "flexible" one. Started with 3 in the tank but this guy is the only one that did well.

Get baby BN's .... once they get bigger sell them. That's what I would do if you really don't like algae. Personally I leave the algea on all of my tanks. The only part of the tank that is cleaned is the front glass.