• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Oscars

ella31598

Members
Hi i would like to know if anyone on here knows of some place/somebody where i can get some very nice maybe even rare oscars in the DC, Baltimore area :D i am looking for albinos preferably young ones around 3-4 inches.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
If you want rare your best bet may be online ordering through Rapps or snookn21 on MFK. Albino's shouldn't be hard to find locally. I think Ricks in Frederick had Lemon oscars that size. The only thing with them is they tend to turn orange with age, which is ok as long as you don't have your heart set on a yellow fish.

ella31598

Members
thanks but i dont like ordering online because i like to see the fish i am going to get beforehand... thanks anyways

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I feel the same but sometimes you have to roll the dice if you really want a fish. Most reputible sellers will get you good stuf. You can also ask a local store to special order, some will, but that might not be any different than ordering online since they'll probably want you to pay up front and you get whatever comes in.

ella31598

Members
Yeah, i work at a fish specialty shop and all of our new oscars have some sort of parasite and they are not doing too well. on top of that there are no nice looking albinos so i am going to have to wait till we get our next batch of oscars in which will sadly be in about a month im guessing. do you know of any reputable websites that sell baby albino tiger oscars?

BevN

Members
Ella,

There are a few good sellers online that deal in the larger South American cichlids. I've seen these on list but have not ever ordered them.

Tangled up in cichlids - Jeff Rapp
Fish Farm - Ken Davis
Snooken21 - he sells on aquabid and is listed on monsterfishkeepers.com

We have no local speciality stores left so internet shopping has become the way for me to find those rarer fish that I cannot fine locally. There are times I may want a pair or two but don't want to get 300 of a species so I look to the internet. It's not as scary as you think if you buy from reputable sellers. I too am one of those visual type shoppers but till the LFS comes back I've had to find other sources.

Good luck on your search.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Carla, I saw a bunch of nice looking Oscars today at the ShowCase Aquarium location in Wheaton, MD. Why don't you stop by there and ask for Ken or Joe.;)

Address:11250 Triangle Lane
Wheaton, MD 20902-4636
(301) 942-6464

Good Luck,

Richard

ella31598

Members
thank you all so much but i stumbled upon a very pretty albino tiger oscar at petco. i didnt expect him to live because i have had such bad luck with chain pet stores but for 6 bucks i couldn't resist. now; a couple weeks later he is doing beautifully and loves to fight with my Trinidad pleco over algae wafers :) however i am going to be buying him a 90gal in about a year and i would like to know if i could get some bala sharks as dither fish. the 90gal would have my oscar, my trinidad pleco, a blue acara and 3 bala sharks. would this work? maybe i could buy 3 bala sharks now and put them in my 65gal with my 2" oscar as long as they we bigger than the oscar. that way they could grow up together...? i just want some nice looking cheap dither fish, i know silver dollars make good dither fish but i think they are so ugly! please help :) thanks so much!

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I think you're best bet would be to get the 90g now and let them all grow up together. Attitudes might change if moved when larger.

Lively

Members
I agree with Danger - my bro in law has a huge oscar - did fine with tankmates that he grew up with - but it died and he tried to add a similar fish same size - ended up a target.

ella31598

Members
ok, well i cant afford it right now. but ill work on it. maybe if i had a bigger tank like a 130G the balas would have a better chance of surviving.

ella31598

Members
yea i cant afford it right now but i am thinking about going with something bigger like a 135G just wanted to make sure bala sharks would be ok with my oscar in there

ella31598

Members
ok how does this combo sound in a 150gal, 3 parrot cichlids, 1 trinidad pleco, 1 albino tiger oscar, 3 big bala sharks, and a blue acara?