• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nymphs in my shrimp tanks...

captmicha

Members
It's one problem after another... Two of my shrimp tanks have some kind of nymphs in them.

I think this is why my Shrimp have been randomly jumping and I've barely seen any babies.

I did some research, but none of the advice for getting rid of them is reasonable. It'll kill my shrimp or just make the nymphs move around...

These things are like the size of a pin head, they're tiny and I can barely see them. I can't just pick them out from the same color sand and other debris.

This was taken with a macro lens.

Any ideas?

2F572C43-3300-4736-B96F-C42D4B86F0E1.jpeg

EDD158BF-2328-4429-812C-BF6549A1A3A4.jpeg

A8125ADE-D1AA-4B15-845C-092C48AF4BF8.jpeg

Becca

Members
I doubt these are doing damage to your shrimp. Shrimp jump when water conditions are bad and/or when they're hungry and/or just because. Cover your tanks better and drop your water level an inch to make it harder.

That said, Nannostomus marginatus or some sort of microrasbora would be ideal for getting rid of those.

captmicha

Members
Apparently they're predatory, although I do have a lot of seed shrimp for them to prey on.

I don't understand what you mean by dropping the water an inch to make it harder? GH?

Thanks, I'll look into getting some to help out. Unless you think my pygmy cories would do the same? I could transfer them right over.

I doubt these are doing damage to your shrimp. Shrimp jump when water conditions are bad and/or when they're hungry and/or just because. Cover your tanks better and drop your water level an inch to make it harder.

That said, Nannostomus marginatus or some sort of microrasbora would be ideal for getting rid of those.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Think they are damselfly nymphs? When I search images for water nymph, I get stuff like this: 20897

Seriously, they seem awfully small to be eating adult shrimp. I'd be inclined to wait them out. Let them grow into whatever they become and leave.

The dewormer was a good idea. Too bad it didn't work.

captmicha

Members
Think they are damselfly nymphs? When I search images for water nymph, I get stuff like this: View attachment 20897

Seriously, they seem awfully small to be eating adult shrimp. I'd be inclined to wait them out. Let them grow into whatever they become and leave.

The dewormer was a good idea. Too bad it didn't work.
Lol. She's welcome to stay as long as she doesn't eat shrimp.

I'm not sure what they are. I thought it was a newly hatched stage of dragonfly, but there are a lot of dob and may and other types of similar flies with similar larval stages, with only minute details to differentiate them. I'm not the best at little details.