• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nothing To Do With Fish.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I can see a blonde joke coming from this one....

Steamer Gets Pageant Contestants Soaked
By Associated Press
Wed Nov 1, 5:11 PM

ASHLAND, Ky. - Manufacturers of clothing steamers might need to update their product warnings to include this: Do not use near building sprinkler systems.

The damaging effect of about 1,000 gallons of water pouring into a northeastern Kentucky arts center began when a scholarship pageant contestant hung her dress from a sprinkler head on the ceiling to remove the wrinkles before the Miss Ashland Area Scholarship Pageant on Saturday.

The Ashland Fire Department said heat from a steamer she was using triggered the sprinkler system on the second floor of the Paramount Arts Center. About 2 1/2 inches of standing water flooded the center, causing an estimated $30,000 in damage.

"There was all this water flowing down from the ceiling and all these pageant contestants standing around, some in curlers, some holding their dresses," said Cindy Collins, director of operations at the Paramount. "It was pretty crazy."

The contestant who tripped the sprinklers, who wasn't identified, was "totally soaked," Collins said.

"We have Broadway shows in there all the time and those people have never had a problem," she said.

She said the arts center probably would place signs in the dressing rooms warning people to not hang garments from the sprinkler heads.

But in showbiz fashion, the portion of the arts center where the incident took place was cordoned off and the show went on.

___

Information from: The Independent, http://www.dailyindependent.com

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

maddog10

Members
This story hits home with me, since I design fire sprinkler systems. Happens several times a year (although usually not by clothes steamer). Most of the time when a sprinkler goes off like this, the nastiest smelling black stagnent water comes out. So it is usually easy enough to tell who set it off.