• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Newly Scaped Tank

ingg

Members
I think maybe the growin may not be being considered, as densely planted tanks are not real typical for cichlid folks. ;)

Growth and time in a higher tech tank like what Rob is building turns this....

into this:

Rob's tank will see a similar tranformation, and the visualization of that kind of growth isn't something folks usually do unless they keep the higher tech and faster growing planted tanks. ;)

I know some of the stemmies Rob has in there, can't wait to see it in a few months as it grows in!

Lively

Members
That really is amazing, the transfomation. Even though I'm not familiar with aquatic planting, I can see what Rob's will look like (sorta) Our rose bed looks like his new tank - a bit sparse. I'm betting his tank will look better than my rose bed more quickly! lol

How do you keep the substrate clean when you do a tank like this?? Doesn't the fish poop cause problems? One day, when we finish the basement, I'd like to do a show tank very lushly planted like that. It would have to be a show tank - I can't even imagine trying to catch fry in one like that.

ingg

Members
How do you keep the substrate clean when you do a tank like this?? Doesn't the fish poop cause problems?

You don't do gravel vacuums in a planted tank like you do in a non planted tank. If you must, you keep the vacuum above the substrate, and really use it as a vacuum - no plunging anything into the substrate.

In a faster growing tank like this, you are typically having to feed the tank nitrates in some form for the plant growth - and fish poop (what plantheads call mulm) is a source of nitrates. In other words, poop away, it is plant food and we want it to happen! ;)

One day, when we finish the basement, I'd like to do a show tank very lushly planted like that. It would have to be a show tank - I can't even imagine trying to catch fry in one like that.

Yeah, catching things is not much fun. Stocking tanks like this requires some planning and deliberation, as most things you put in there are not going to come out without some choice words also coming out of your mouth - along, of course, with having to put part of your tank back together after you rip it up in frustration. ;)

I use baiting and traps to catch shrimp, but fish typically don't come out of my tanks until I rescape.

In lower tech styles, you can set a great looking tank with all anubias, java fern, Bolbitis, things easily moveable/removable to be able to use it in a more multi function, catch the fish kind of setup.

Lively

Members
Yeah, catching things is not much fun. Stocking tanks like this requires some planning and deliberation, as most things you put in there are not going to come out without some choice words also coming out of your mouth - along, of course, with having to put part of your tank back together after you rip it up in frustration. ;)

Yeah - I have to rip up my breeding tanks every couple of months - they are in the main part of the house so I like them to look nice but I use minimum aquascape because I know I'm not going to get all the fry until I get every single hiding place out of there! lol

In lower tech styles, you can set a great looking tank with all anubias, java fern, Bolbitis, things easily moveable/removable to be able to use it in a more multi function, catch the fish kind of setup.

The "lowtech" style is what I have now... but I'm sold on doing a hightech system for the show tank. The plan (as it stands now) is to build an in-wall tank between what will be the fish room and office/study. I guess I'll be hitting up all you plant heads for info on CO2 systems and the like when we get to that point... until then I'll just ohh and ahh over the pics ya'll post...

krisw

Members
The "lowtech" style is what I have now... but I'm sold on doing a hightech system for the show tank. The plan (as it stands now) is to build an in-wall tank between what will be the fish room and office/study. I guess I'll be hitting up all you plant heads for info on CO2 systems and the like when we get to that point... until then I'll just ohh and ahh over the pics ya'll post...

Sounds like a fantastic plan! I'm jealous of you big time, as a dream of mine is to have a large planted tank as a room divider, viewable by three sides between say the kitchen and living room. Not going to happen in a townhouse at the moment!

The few GWAPA members that have in-wall tanks (Dave (ingg) and Ghazanfar) really have some great knowledge about doing it, and have both had phenomenal success with automating some of the processes. Too bad you didn't speak up sooner. GWAPA's meeting topic last Saturday was all about the different types of CO2 systems. Nevertheless, we can get you started when you're ready.