• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nesting/digging?

iamzrad

Members
So I noticed some substrate being moved from behind a rock. I finally thought my Venustus pair was going to breed. I never caught a fish digging until I went to feed last night.

My otter point jake was the one digging! Not sure why, there are no females in the tank. He has never done this before and I just found it odd.

Any idea what's up? He's acting/swimming/eating normal. :confused:

From my own observations in my tanks I believe that it means that the hormone level is up in your tank and makes all the males happy. I always observe breeding in my tanks after the odd digging even if the digging fish is not the one breeding. This is just my opinion from my own observations.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, my peacocks will excavate parts of the gravel to suit their tastes. I try to keep a thin gravel layer, so I have bare spots on the bottom of the tank in certain spots. Like Pat said, they all seem to build spawning spots even if they don't have their own females. Even if theres only one female in the tank, all the males will try to get their attention.

iamzrad

Members
Yeah, my peacocks will excavate parts of the gravel to suit their tastes. I try to keep a thin gravel layer, so I have bare spots on the bottom of the tank in certain spots. Like Pat said, they all seem to build spawning spots even if they don't have their own females. Even if theres only one female in the tank, all the males will try to get their attention.

I've had him for over a year and he's just now doing it?